Source language: Translate to:

Upgrading a distributed Publication

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Postby Gaev » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:05 am

Mote:

When I try and read your website file (http://www.motesoft.org/motejr/USCupdat ... ersion.txt) in Internet Explorer, I get a customized "Page Not Found" response ... with the content looking something like ...
404 ERROR PAGE

OOPS!
The page you tried to access does not exist on this server.
This page may not exist due to the following reasons:


The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.
... and yes, its first line (if you do a View Source menu command) is "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN".

The web server on your website is designed to send this customized page whenever a requested file is not found ... so the NeoBook DownloadFile command does NOT get any error message ... and is not able to tell if the requested web page or the standard error page is being responded with.

a) you need to make sure that the requested .txt file is placed in the specified folder on your website ... and is accessible by any user using this address (say in Internet Explorer)

b) after downloading the file, you need to make some "due diligence" test to make sure it is what you were expecting ...

- perhaps the first line of the txt file could be something like "This is the latest version of program xxxx.exe" and the second line could have the latest version of this program

- then your program would make sure that the first line contains the expected text string ... and only if it does, would it compare the second line's content
User avatar
Gaev
 
Posts: 3718
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:48 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Wrangler » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:00 am

If you are downloading the file from a unix server, filenames are case sensitive. Make sure the file on the server is named exactly as your code, with the capital letters. It is a good rule of thumb to name all unix files in lowercase. Less problems that way.

To debug things like this, comment out all your code, and release it one line at a time. First:

DownloadFile "http://www.motesoft.org/motejr/USCupdate/LatestVersion.txt"

Check that the file is downloaded. If so, release the next block of code and check that. If not, figure out why it didn't download etc. Less stress on the brain that way.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
User avatar
Wrangler
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: USA

Postby mote » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Gaev,

Thanks for all your instructions. I have figured out what was wrong.

1. my .txt file was misspelled with the word LastestVersion.txt.
After fixing that, it sill would not work so I did step two.

2. I changed my download link to www.motesoft.org/LatestVersion.txt and it works fine now. It reads both .txt file and PubVersion.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Mote
mote
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:56 am

Previous

Return to Misc. Questions and Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron