Source language: Translate to:

OCX in IIS

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

OCX in IIS

Postby Gigi » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 am

Can the Neobook OCX files be used in Internet Infomation Server 6?

Any hints?

THanks
Gigi

Re: OCX in IIS

Postby dpayer » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:59 am

toratoratora wrote:Can the Neobook OCX files be used in Internet Infomation Server 6?

Any hints?

THanks

Are you asking:

1) can I distribute OCX based web applications via IIS 6?

or

2) can I interact with IIS 6 using the OCX product of Neobook?

D
dpayer

ASP

Postby Gigi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:51 am

I am thinking, wouldn't it be great to make pages or contect for pages with ASP and Neobook OCX files. Is that possible?

Cheers

Robert
Gigi

Re: ASP

Postby dpayer » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:50 am

toratoratora wrote:I am thinking, wouldn't it be great to make pages or contect for pages with ASP and Neobook OCX files. Is that possible?

Cheers

Robert

The pages will be running an application on the individual's computer. It will not be interacting with the server at that point. You can make pages and upload them but unless you turn a NB app into a service and run it on the server (you would need administrator privileges to do so) I don't think you can do what you want.

Having said that, I think NB could be used to make many utilities that would run on servers.

D
dpayer

Postby edunaway » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:42 pm

I think what Robert might be asking for is an ISAPI plugin for IIS. Such a plugin would allow backend interaction between a web visitor and the NB pub.

If implemented properly this could allow for CGI/ASP type interaction with NB but without the necessity to use a third language (CGI/ASP)

Possible uses for this could be file uploading & processing (such as images) or applications without the need for an Active X control since it would run from the server.

-eric
edunaway

Postby dpayer » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:40 pm

edunaway wrote:I think what Robert might be asking for is an ISAPI plugin for IIS. Such a plugin would allow backend interaction between a web visitor and the NB pub.

If implemented properly this could allow for CGI/ASP type interaction with NB but without the necessity to use a third language (CGI/ASP)

Possible uses for this could be file uploading & processing (such as images) or applications without the need for an Active X control since it would run from the server.

-eric

There is a way to use NB but not in a CGI format (but that may be possible indirectly if you use Hans-Peter's NewLisp module and then at the same time use NewLisp as a CGI interface for IIS).

I think you can use IIS/ASP/PHP to enter information into a database on the server. You can then use NB to read that information and act on it via normal programming interfaces on the server.

David
dpayer

Yes

Postby Gigi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:07 pm

That's exactly what I'm on about. Just bought SBS server 2003 and I'm new to the possibilities. This would be great since I wouldn't need to learn a whole new language. So you think it's possible then?
Gigi

Re: Yes

Postby dpayer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:34 am

toratoratora wrote:That's exactly what I'm on about. Just bought SBS server 2003 and I'm new to the possibilities. This would be great since I wouldn't need to learn a whole new language. So you think it's possible then?

Define what you want to do. Lets discuss it here.

D
dpayer

2 do list

Postby Gigi » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:19 am

One idea was to made a postcard system for visitors to send there friends of the kind that is quite popular.

My main web site is www.thetao.info

I like to concentrate on visuals so there could be a lot of other uses if I could do something that uses the hpw Image plug in, for example
Gigi

Re: 2 do list

Postby dpayer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 am

toratoratora wrote:One idea was to made a postcard system for visitors to send there friends of the kind that is quite popular.

My main web site is www.thetao.info

I like to concentrate on visuals so there could be a lot of other uses if I could do something that uses the hpw Image plug in, for example

Here is the methodology I would follow:

Through a traditional form that posted data to either a text file (via frontpage server extensions and a frontpage form) or a database, I would ask them to give me: type of card desired, senders name/address/email; recipient's name/address/email and the content to be included.

Next have the NB program scan the database regularly (every 5 min) looking for new entries. Once it sees one, it creates the card and emails it to the appropriate person. Then it marks the database entry as having been fulfilled so you don't pick it up again.

D
dpayer

Cheers

Postby Gigi » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:55 am

Thanks for that. I'll look into it from that angle and see where it takes me.
Gigi

Return to Misc. Questions and Information