Source language: Translate to:

Database created product catalog

NeoBook tips, tricks, code samples and more...

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Database created product catalog

Postby Modnway » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Hello,
Everyone, thanks for all of your help, your ideas and sample codes have been extremely helpful and very much appreciated!

What I would like to do now is create a database driven catalog that would allow you to perform a search and have a customized result show up in maybe a "Scrolling Article" or something.

Also the results would have to contain pictures with clickable links to more info. on the products.

I have installed and tried a few different plugins but I am not really sure the best way to go about it.

I know how to do something with just text from a database but I would really like to use images as the links and Neo database can only show one image at a time.

I want something like an online catalog works when a custom page is created after the result of a search on a shopping website. A page is created showing a list of products with images and then you can click on the image to go to another page for more info on that particular product.

Would this be something that could be done using a particular plugin? I would need a good code example too, as it would be a lot easier for me to study the code and adapt it to suite my needs.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

Modnway
Modnway

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:24 pm

I want something like an online catalog works when a custom page is created after the result of a search on a shopping website. A page is created showing a list of products with images and then you can click on the image to go to another page for more info on that particular product.

I'm not sure it's possible to accomplish this with any of the current database plug-ins. However, you could create some sort of hybrid using NeoBookDB's table feature. The table could be used to display a list of found items. A separate picture object would be used to display a picture of the item highlighted in the table. As the user navigates through the table, the picture would change automatically.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby beno » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi,

My suggestion is to create your catalog using NBDB (which is great), and store the filename in one field.

Later, you can create dynamic html pages with the query results, these html files can render all the info you desire from your database including the image for each record.

HTH,

beno
beno

Postby johntce » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:22 am

Hi!

I have created exactly the same pub for my company.

I have used hpwSQlite plug in which is extremely fast and powerful.
My pub supports approx 20,000 products. and handles these with ease.

I suggest you create a field within the database where you hold the filename for the picture associated with the product, then load the picture each time the current record changes.

Hope this helps.

John
johntce

Return to NeoBook Knowledgebase