Source language: Translate to:

NeobookDB issue

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeobookDB issue

Postby Maviz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:03 pm

I am familiar with diversity of authoring tools. Supposedly amongst the easy to use authoring tools the significant advantage of Neobook, is the power of its NeobookDB plug-in. But unfortunately I have recently experienced disappointing problems such as having a corrupted database file in hand after receiving a dbfQuery error. Luckily I was just testing a conceptual project. But I think there may be questions for more serious authors such as:

Once the project is commercially released, what would be the level of reliability and stability of NeobookDB and its related database files? And how to prevent important and time consuming database files to be destroyed.

What is the size limitation of the database files? (i.e. the number of records and / or fields that neobookDB can handle. Or the largest amount of records that a dbfQuery can return. Or for how many records NeobookDB can calculate the Sum of a field …)

thanks
Maviz

Postby beno » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi Maviz,

My experience for the last years with NB and NBDB has been error free.

In fact 99% of the projects I have developed for the las 2 or 3 years all uses NBDB: the majority are educational projects, some for physicians, mp3 players, music catalogs, restaurant control, etc.

None of my clients has contacted me about corrupt databases or information lost.

The latest project I did is a multilingual language course and all its contents are stored in different tables (.dbf files). This one contains thousands of records for the language lessons, a dictionary, and another database with links (markers) to video and audio files.

Just to share my experience with all the NeoFriends.

Saludos,

beno
beno

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:58 pm

NeoBookDB stores its data in the dBase format and shares the same strengths and limitations. The maximum size of a dBase file is approximately 1 billion records or 2GB, but I don't think anyone has anywhere come close to that with NeoBookDB.

NeoBookDB has been available for quite a while and has been used extensively. It's not intended to be used in mission critical applications, but I haven't heard of any reports of data being corrupted. NeoBookDB does give you low level access to things commercial databases don't, so the potential does exist for a programmer to destroy data if he/she chooses to do so - accidentally or on purpose.

That being said, it's not outside the realm of possibilities that you've discovered a previously unknown bug. If you can reproduce the problem and send us a sample publication, we'll certainly do our best to correct it.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby SpiritHorse_ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:34 pm

I have created an application before with 100,000+ Records and still worked like a charm.
SpiritHorse_

Postby rcohen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:39 pm

Many of my applications are based on the NB DB as well, and I have not had any problems with them, nor have clients. You could consider coding a real time redundancy routine to keep two copies of the database on the HD and updated in real time, or even just a simple copy routine on exit to keep a snapshot.

Overall, I find the Neobook DB exceptionally stable.

r
rcohen

Postby smartmedia » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi...

I found a intresting web page about developent tools for Delphi...
http://delphi.devdirect.com/ALL/DatabaseTools_SGROUP_0005.aspx
Specialy for Database...
If Dave take a look, maybe can find something good...

Thanks
smartmedia

Return to PlugIn Discussions