Source language: Translate to:

Looks like a tidal wave coming ...

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Looks like a tidal wave coming ...

Postby Gaev » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:21 pm

This story in cnet.com here ...

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+extends+t ... g=nefd.top

... is good-news / bad-news for NeoBook ...
Microsoft estimates that there are about 18 million nonprofessional programmers. Fernandez said Visual Studio 2005 Express has been downloaded 5 million times since last November.
... if only some of these "nonprofessional programmers" were given an opportunity to compare NeoBook.

A market of 5 to 18 million should attract even more component (dll, activeX etc.) developers ... and economies of scale will keep costs down ... even more important/urget to build the ability within NeoBook for script developers to deploy such components seamlessly.
Gaev

Re: Looks like a tidal wave coming ...

Postby dpayer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:54 pm

Gaev wrote:This story in cnet.com here ...

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+extends+t ... g=nefd.top

I have looked at these and came to the conclusion that Microsoft had to give them away if they wanted 'buy in'. They are giving away the ability to create .net applications with their programs. This is great if you have a newer version of XP. But if you have Win98/ME/2000 and possibly an early version of xp and certainly NOT at all if you have win95, you will need to download a 50 meg NET install. I anticipate that if you distribute with CDs it will be ok but for downloaded apps, that will be an issue.

Still, free is good.

David P.
dpayer

Postby Gaev » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:35 pm

David P:
This is great if you have a newer version of XP. But if you have Win98/ME/2000 and possibly an early version of xp and certainly NOT at all if you have win95, you will need to download a 50 meg NET install.
a) Take a look at these stats ... http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/March/os.php ... 82% XP, 7% 2K ... probably higher percent in the Developed countries ... and with MS's giveaway, even more .net ready environments.

b) There is still a huge download associated with the actual Express (free) products themselves.

c) I don't like this kind of development platform ... but looks like everyone is going to it ... Java Run Time Environment is about 68 MB ... upside is that your distributed binaries are tiny.
I anticipate that if you distribute with CDs it will be ok but for downloaded apps, that will be an issue.
I don't believe you can/would distribute .net stuff yourself ... user's machine has to be .net ready ... or they have to download from MS site.

But with them pushing .net into everything, this won't be much of a barrier ... especially as you said ...free is good..

As I said, this would not be my first choice for a development platform ... but I have been in the industry long enough to know that sailing against the tide is futile ... especially a tsunami like MS.

But my main point was that NeoBook needs to be able to exploit the huge number of components that suppliers will be offering to this huge pool of developers ... at very low cost ... seamless calling of such components will be crucial.
Gaev

Return to Misc. Questions and Information