Source language: Translate to:

Multiple Display

Questions about using NeoBook's scripting language

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Multiple Display

Postby tjchan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Hello. I'm wondering if there is multimonitor support for NeoBook and show multiple things at the same time but on different monitors.

Thanks.
-Timothy Chan
tjchan

Postby Cipolla » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:43 am

Hello Timothy,

there is no problem using neobook on multimonitor systems. i am using neobook on a matrox dualhead without any problem. you could place the windows and toolbars on one screen and the workspace on the other.

Also the made applications, published with neobook are working without any problem. I made a videoclip system where two neobook applications are running parallel on one system. screen 1 is a touch screen for the user input (choose vide, start, stop, etc) the other one is a 42" plasma where the video plays.

All without any problem.
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Cipolla

Postby tjchan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:27 pm

Hi Cipolla,

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! How do you interface between the 2 pubs to "talk" to each other? Is it a sendkeys to app? Or is there a more efficient way to communicate between 2 apps?

Thanks!
-Timothy
tjchan

Postby edunaway » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:47 pm

There are many ways to communicate between applications and it really depends on what you plan to do and how responsive you need the communication to be:

1. Send keys
2. Clipboard
3. Text file (for example: have one pub write to the file and the other check it for changes)
4. Registry (be careful as always when using the registry!)

Send keys or a text file are probably the safest and most reliable.

-eric
edunaway

Postby tjchan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:13 pm

Sendkeys probably the best then (right?). As a function to check for changes of a text file is looped via timer - how processor intensive is that? Program communication needs to be practically transparent (response time no more than 1 second).
tjchan

Postby Cipolla » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:56 am

I am working with a text file. the remote app writes data to the text file, i.e. the path of the video to be played, or the stearing commands like start, stop etc. The reason is, that this app is also working in a network like a server / client app.

The client app checks all 5 sec (this could also be lower) the status of the text file. Is text file changed -> read the new value and set a flag for the remote app like ok or error or something.

The timer is not processor intensive. You could check this by monitoring the processor when exectuing your timer app. you will see, it will be < than 1% of usage.
Greetings from Germany
Klaus
Cipolla

Postby dpayer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:23 am

tjchan wrote:Hi Cipolla,

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! How do you interface between the 2 pubs to "talk" to each other? Is it a sendkeys to app? Or is there a more efficient way to communicate between 2 apps?

Thanks!
-Timothy

The need to solve this kind of problem is why Hans-Peter created his Remote plugin:

http://www.hpwsoft.de/anmeldung/html1/n ... ook13.html

I cannot speak more of it from my lack of personal experience but I recall the discussion here on the forums. You should be able to get a sense of its usage from those threads. Search in the plugin section.

David P.
dpayer

Postby tjchan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:03 am

Thank you all for your help. I will check out that plugin as well.

Yay! hpwRemote works wonders!

Thanks!
tjchan

Postby rcohen » Mon May 08, 2006 9:02 am

I've never played with mutli screen / multi application systems before, but... wouldn't the compile as runtime ap and the runneobook methods of shared variable space solve a good deal of this ?

r
rcohen

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon May 08, 2006 12:12 pm

RunNeoBook only works within a single instance of NeoBook. So you can switch between two pubs leaving the variables intact, but only one of the pubs can be running at a time.
Last edited by Neosoft Support on Tue May 09, 2006 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby rcohen » Mon May 08, 2006 5:39 pm

I see... didn't recall that small detail ;-)

Thanks for the clarification.

r
rcohen

Return to NeoBook Action Commands