Source language: Translate to:

browser question

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

browser question

Postby cathbhadhdonn » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:27 am

How can I set up a favorites list with the browser that comes with neobook so people can add their favorite sites to the browser?

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.
cathbhadhdonn

Postby Gaev » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:51 am

cathbhadhdonn:

When you insert a Browser Object on your NeoBook pub's page, it stores the address (URL) of the page being displayed in a variable at all times ... by default, if the Browser object is WebBrowser1, this variable is [WebBrowser1Addr] ... but you can change it if you want (from the General panel for the object) ... the title of the web page being displayed is also stored in a variable ... e.g. [WebBrowser1Title].

So, in order to enable your user to indicate that a particular web page needs to be added to the "FavList", you need to have a Button ... e.g. labelled "Add Favs." ... and placed somewhere close to the Browser object ... and in the Click section, you develop the process of accepting/saving the information from the afore mentioned variable.

The simplicity/complexity of the process will depend on what kind of "list" you want to offer ...

- a flat list model ... where all the entries are in a single list ... is pretty straight forward to design ... you could use a plain text file (see FileRead and FileWrite commands) to sotre the Address-Title pairs of information ... making sure that there were no duplicates

- a hierarchical structure (like in Internet Explorer) would require a lot more processing/code ... and most likely deployment of a database (like NeoBookDB) ... if you are new to application development, this is not something you want to tackle as your first project.

... in either model, you also need to facilitate the deletion/removal of entries in the list ... and of course, selection of entries ... which would cause your application to display the corresponding web page in the Browser object (see the BrowserGoTo command).

If you need further explanation/details on a particular topic, ask here.
Gaev

Postby cathbhadhdonn » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:27 pm

Gaev wrote:cathbhadhdonn:

When you insert a Browser Object on your NeoBook pub's page, it stores the address (URL) of the page being displayed in a variable at all times ... by default, if the Browser object is WebBrowser1, this variable is [WebBrowser1Addr] ... but you can change it if you want (from the General panel for the object) ... the title of the web page being displayed is also stored in a variable ... e.g. [WebBrowser1Title].

So, in order to enable your user to indicate that a particular web page needs to be added to the "FavList", you need to have a Button ... e.g. labelled "Add Favs." ... and placed somewhere close to the Browser object ... and in the Click section, you develop the process of accepting/saving the information from the afore mentioned variable.

The simplicity/complexity of the process will depend on what kind of "list" you want to offer ...

- a flat list model ... where all the entries are in a single list ... is pretty straight forward to design ... you could use a plain text file (see FileRead and FileWrite commands) to sotre the Address-Title pairs of information ... making sure that there were no duplicates

- a hierarchical structure (like in Internet Explorer) would require a lot more processing/code ... and most likely deployment of a database (like NeoBookDB) ... if you are new to application development, this is not something you want to tackle as your first project.

... in either model, you also need to facilitate the deletion/removal of entries in the list ... and of course, selection of entries ... which would cause your application to display the corresponding web page in the Browser object (see the BrowserGoTo command).

If you need further explanation/details on a particular topic, ask here.

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunatly I am pretty much a newbie at this. Sounds like it is going to be a bit over my head to do. lol. I have had neobook for awhile but have nearly no knowledge of code writing. I basically do simple things with my neobook. But I love it! Now if I could just get it to do my dishes!
cathbhadhdonn

Postby Gaev » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:14 pm

cathbhadhdonn:
Now if I could just get it to do my dishes!
... heard someone was already building a plugin for this ...
Code: Select all
:DishRoutine
neoBookSearchForWasherItems "DishesInKitchen+PlatesInDinningRoom+CoffeeCupInBedRoom"
neoBookPlaceFoundItemsInWasher
neoBookStartDishWasher "now"
SetVar "[WasherHasDoneJob]" "True"
Return
... will also work with
Code: Select all
neoBookSearchForWasherItems "NeighboursCat+Bleach"
Gaev

Return to Misc. Questions and Information