Source language: Translate to:

NeoBook 5.03 Printing Problems

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeoBook 5.03 Printing Problems

Postby frednet » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:22 pm

I have searched the archives and posts and even Google most of the day trying to find work arounds for my simple problem. I have some text that doesn't show up when I PrintPage with the Final settings. I understand the differences between Draft and Final - but draft isn't a good enough quality for my text.

I have changed fonts, font sizes, moved things around so nothing was crowded. The page displays my variables fine but certain lines of text won't print.

Any ideas? Is there a way to feed my variables to Microsoft Word and just format the thing in there using my data?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
frednet

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:11 am

I have some text that doesn't show up when I PrintPage with the Final settings...

I'm not sure why your text wouldn't print, but you might try changing the font color. Some monochrome printers interpret colors in unusual ways.

Is there a way to feed my variables to Microsoft Word and just format the thing in there using my data?

NeoBook doesn't have the ability to write Word format DOC files directly, but you can use the FileWrite action to output your data and variables to a plain text file which can be imported into Word for further formatting.

Another option is to create a formatted Rich Text (RTF) file containing variables where your live data can be inserted.

A Variable is an area of the computer’s memory that you can use to temporarily store information (text or numbers) relevant to your publication. For example, you might request that your reader enter his or her name at the start of a publication. That variable could then be used to personalize the publication. For example, you might enter something like this into the RTF file:

Suddenly, [Name] saw a bright flash in the sky. "Could it be a spaceship," [Name] asked? No, it’s probably just an airplane.

Notice the word Name surrounded by square brackets - that’s a variable. In NeoBook parlance, the names of variables are always surrounded by [brackets]. That’s how NeoBook knows that you’re referring to a variable called [Name] and not the word “Name.” At runtime, NeoBook will automatically update your paragraph with the contents of any variables you specify. For example, the same paragraph as the reader might see it:

Suddenly, Billy Johnson saw a bright flash in the sky. "Could it be a spaceship," Billy Johnson asked? No, it’s probably just an airplane.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Further Info On Printing Problems

Postby frednet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:44 pm

I have printed to an HP Color bubblejet and a monochrome with the same results. I have changed font types, sizes, etc.

Thanks for the response - I use a ton a variables all the time now so I understand those - what I am doing is have the user fill in a page with info and then click a button to display some calculations for printing. That is where the problem comes in - it displays fine but the print doesn't show everything - one example I have it display the [dateshort] varaible but it won't print on the page.

I have tried another workaround - creating a pdf file of the page with tmpdf then I could open it and print it but the sizing is a problem there.

Any other workarounds would be appreciated - I will try to work with rtf next to see if I can get that to work...
frednet

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:28 am

Would it be possible for you to send us a small sample publication that we can use to reproduce the problem here? Maybe if we're both working from the sample basic publication I can provide a more specific solution.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

NeoBook 5.03 Printing Probs

Postby ErgoMan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi,

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? I have an application that collects information from users. Each small item of information is associated with a separate variable. On successive pages the information is presented on pages inside of text objects. On the last page I have a summary form that contains all of the items of information and provides a prining option.

Even though the information is properly displayed inside of each text object (from its variable), none of it will print. Only the border lines of the text objects appear on the printout.

Thanks,

ErgoMan
ErgoMan

A Factor Related to Problems Printing in NeoBook v 5.03?

Postby ErgoMan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:31 pm

By accident I might have uncovered a property of the text box that is associated with my printing problems--the height of the text box.

In my application I sized the text boxes tight so that I could clearly see the print in runtime without having them overlap. I noticed that with a text box containing a size 14 bold font that the text would print if the height of the box was 31 or more; but would not print if the height of the box was 30 or less.

I did not check this for consistancy with other font sizes.

ErgoMan
ErgoMan

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:43 pm

By accident I might have uncovered a property of the text box that is associated with my printing problems--the height of the text box.

Yes, I think you're right. It probably has something to do with the differences in the height of fonts between the screen and the printer.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to Misc. Questions and Information