Source language: Translate to:

Forum Response Time Really Slow

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Forum Response Time Really Slow

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:40 am

Has anyone else noticed the degrading response time on this forum ?

About a week ago I noticed intermittent problems ... but today, from about 7:30 a.m. to now (12:30 p.m.), it has been atrocious ... over 20 seconds per click ... and 1 in 3 or 4 come back with the standard error page (i.e. can not find it) ... a refresh request usually solves it ... after another 20 second wait.

I surf many different sites spread over 4 continents ... and this is the only one with a problem. And the user count for the forum is usually below 10 ... looks like the web host is overloaded.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:22 am

Same observation from here. Several errors and slow.

Postby Sam Cox » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:23 am

Hi Gaev,

Thanks for mentioning this. I experienced the same frustrating behavior this morning, and also a couple of other times in the past few days. I thought it was something on my end, but, as you point out, virtually every other site I visit is responsive when this one is not.

-- Sam
Sam Cox

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:22 pm

I'm sorry if anyone's experiencing slow performance. I havn't had any problems accessing the forum from here. (Actually, our server is about 2,000 miles away from our office.) Maybe I'm not accessing the forum at the right time. I'm not sure what to recommend. It may have something to do with the time of day or the forum's security update that was installed last week.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:40 pm

Maybe I'm not accessing the forum at the right time ... it may have something to do with the time of day
Except for today, the slow period centered around 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (eastern time) ... but today I was up earlier and the delays were longer, associated with almost all clicks and the "not found" error pages were more frequent as well ... finally, I decided to stay away from the forum after posting my last message (at 12:30 p.m.)
... or the forum's security update that was installed last week.
the forum is quite responsive right now ... if your Host Provider runs this forum on the same server as gazillion other forums, it could be that "as more and more of them "have the security update" applied to them, the higher the workload stress on the server ... perhaps not sufficient to affect performance "off business hours" (eastern time) but enough to make things slow to a crawl in the (peak-load) morning hours.

Postby HPW » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:38 am

This weekend was the forum again either very slow or inaccessible!

What is going on with the server/forum?
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby smartmedia » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:24 am

Hi...

The last 2 days i am trying to enter the site or forum without hope...
I think it's time for Neosoftware to buy some extra mirror server.
After all, the upgrade was a nice income for them... No hard fellinks
but we was waiting 1 year for this upgrate... And now seems that the
problems are contiued...

Thanks.
smartmedia

problem was DNS

Postby dpayer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:57 am

HPW wrote:This weekend was the forum again either very slow or inaccessible!

What is going on with the server/forum?

I saw that the DNS server used by the domain name: neosoftware.com did not respond properly over the weekend.

This is an overall server problem and I can see it linked to the same issue that causes data corruption.

David P.
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:01 pm

The forum appears to be working OK now, but we'll see what we can do to reduce the strain on our server in the future.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby HPW » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:21 am

Today (and often in the last days) the forum is awfull slow again.

Waiting for the next page for a half minutes or longer is no good.
And mostly it shows that I am alone or only a few user in the user list.

So what happens with the server/hoster?
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby HPW » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:19 am

Hm, now it is back to normal.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Gaev » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:46 am

Yes, same here ... in the last two/three weeks it has become progressively slow ... not all the time ... but certainly early mornings local time ... and I can tell its just this one site ... connecting to other sites spread all over the world is just fine.
Gaev

Postby Gaev » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:49 am

Once again, the forum's response ... which went progressively worse all this week ... has become unbearably slow (20 to 30 seconds per click) ... other sites respond within half to two seconds.

Since the response times for displaying non-forum pages of NeoSoft's website ... and even the initial pages for FAQ, Search, Profile etc. functions for the forum ... are quite good, the bottleneck appears to be associated with the database access of the forum posts ... and as I recall, the performance is not a problem late at night or very early in the morning ... perhaps points to the need to optimize the database program's environment ... more (real/virtual) memory or data cache to be allocated ? etc. ?
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:11 am

The forum performance seems to be acceptable (+/-2 sec) right now (10:00 am PDT).

...perhaps points to the need to optimize the database program's environment ... more (real/virtual) memory or data cache to be allocated ? etc. ?

I can complain about it, but usually it just gets better on its own. It may have something to do with the hundreds of phpBB spam robots that are continuously attempting to create accounts here (and all other phpBB forums). I'm sure all that activity takes a toll.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Wrangler » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:10 pm

It comes and goes for me. I think it could be due to network congestion in certain areas. Gaev is in Canada. There could be a lot of detours or problems accessing this server, where other web sites Gaev goes to may be accessible on a cleaner connection. There have been a few times I couldn't access my own server (in Texas), panicked and found out that all the people I called to test it accessed it fast. It explains why it is faster during the off hours. Then add to the fact that 1000's a day are getting online, and the networks are getting plugged. Read an article about that the other day. It also explains why it seems to "fix itself".

There is a web site (can't remember the url, Google knows) that shows you a graphical map of network outages and congestion. Pretty interesting.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Next

Return to Misc. Questions and Information