Source language: Translate to:

Object naming reference?

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Object naming reference?

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:22 pm

Can someone direct me to the naming guidelines for objects? Recently I tried names such as:

Code: Select all
object.name
object+name
object-name

NeoBook rejected each with "not a valid object name." I presume this means NeoBook doesn't permit periods, plus signs, or minus signs (dash characters) in object names. Is there an object naming reference guide?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:49 am

Could it be the underscore; object_name? I've tried and errored (?) into this conclusion.

Obect name

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:40 pm

Dear Sam,

You may get an error message if another object, anywhere within the publication, bears the name that you're trying to use. No two objects can have the same name.

Object names cannot contain spaces, but can certainly contain underscores, like this _!

Hope this info helps.

Cheers - Elio.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:34 am

Here are the object naming rules I have discovered. These notes apply only to the English version of NeoBook. I tested these rules on NeoBook 4.1.3a.

1) object names may contain alpha-numeric characters and underscore; this means only "a-zA-Z0-9_" are acceptable and that the following thirty-one characters are not permitted: .!@#$%^&*()-=+[]{}\|'";:/?.>,< <space>

2) object names may begin with alpha and underscore characters; they may not begin with a digit.

3) object names may be as short as one character and as long as at least 460 characters. (I got tired of typing and counting, and besides 460 characters should be enough for anybody!)

4) object names are case insensitive; that is, ObjectName = objectname = objectName = ObJeCtNaMe

That's it. Are there other object naming rules?

Return to Misc. Questions and Information