Source language: Translate to:

Maps and Locations

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Maps and Locations

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Hello again,

I have need of a way to be able to locate a specific location on a map, using informaton from my dbf file.  Keep this question somewhat generic, I don't care what the criteria is, I just want to be able to go to an image or ?, and have it show up at a particular location.  

For example, say I have a jpg of a city map.  I want to go to a post office downtown.  This is no intelligence built into the map, but I do know it's coordinates by pixils.  Lets say the post office is at 1000,1200 and the image is 50000,50000 (pixils)  
Is there a way to have Neobook bring up the post office in the image and then zoom in or out?

I could use plugins if not available in NB, or outside software if I could include in my software (for a fee of course)  

Any plugins out there that might do this I would be interested in purchasing.

If there is a way to using an intelligent map and database (must use dbf) I would also be interested.  Something like map quest.  or ??

Thanks for anythoughts.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Just an idea, but what about putting an invisible button over the entire image and using

GetMousePos "[x]" "[y]"

To find where the user clicked and then cross reference this with your dbf. In NB you can zoom in on an image, but not to a certain spot. Maybe you could swap the images based on where they clicked.

Postby Gaev » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:20 pm

DataDon:

50,000 by 50,000 ? At 3 bytes (RGB) per pixel, that comes to one humongous file ... 7.5 GB !!! How much memory does your computer have ? ... and hope you have the patience to wait for it to load.

Perhaps you can first have the image chopped up into small, medium, large and huge chunks ... with the file names having their sizes and co-ordinates embedded into their names e.g. ...

s_[x]_[y].jpg
m_[x]_[y].jpg
l_[x]_[y].jpg
h_[x]_[y].jpg

... then, after the appropriate calculations, you could have a NeoBook Picture object (or multiple objects in a 2 X 2 or 3 X 3 matrix) which are refreshed with the appropriate h_[x]_[y].jpg files ... upon zoom, switch to another layout (Goto Page or CustomWindow another PictureGroup) of l_[x]_[y].jpg files ... and so on.

Doable ... but you are still looking at 30 GB (7.5 GB times 4 sizes) of disk space.
Gaev

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:27 pm

Thanks for the thoughts MEGASTEVER1 and GK,

Ok,  I got a little carried away with the image size.   I was just throwing out numbers.  Actual size would be much smaller.  Sorry for the confusion on that part.

I don't want the user to click on the image and go somewhere, but rather have them pick a place (from the database info) and then have the image of where it is show up.  GK,  you idea might work for that, but I would rather have a set of large image maps and then zero in on the location.  I have since found some possible software sites that might work for this, but have not heard back on my questions yet.  One might even have an ocx or componet that could be made into a plugin.  We'll see.

Thanks for the ideas I'll think about them.

Don

Postby Gaev » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:41 am

datadon:
Ok,  I got a little carried away with the image size.   I was just throwing out numbers.  Actual size would be much smaller.
OK ... different problem ... different possible solution.

Assuming that the "master image" is small enough to be loaded into a NeoBook Picture object (at 100% magnification), you might be able to use something I recall suggesting a while ago to (I think it was) BillB ... who was looking for a scripted way of panning an image.

The technique/trick was to...

a) position upto 4 rectangle objects in such a way that there is a "rectangular hole" left behind (through which the desired parts of the window would show through.

b) By having the Rectangles of the same color as the Page Background ... and no borders ... they act like the frame around the part of the image that will be visible in the "hole".

c) place the (large) Picture object (containing the full image) behind these rectangle objects (ObjectToBack)

d) then, as you need to show a particular "section" of the image, do a MoveObject on the Picture object such that the desired co-ordinates are aligned with the top left corner (or center if you so desire) of the "hole" ... this involves very simple math ... remember that MoveObject will take negative numbers.

Zoom .... that is another problem ... unfortunately, NeoBook does not facilitate run time modification of the Image Magnification parameter ... but you might try having designing multiple Picture objects (each with a different magnification value but referencing the same file) ... then, move the Picture object with the desired zoom/magnification under the "hole" when requested/required.
Gaev

Map

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:48 am

Don,

the coordinates that you are using is from a GPS or something like that, or just a point that you have defined in your database ? The best way to use maps, are WMF files, that don´t loose the resolution when scaled. I have some GIS developments here, so I can help.

DBF

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:59 am

If you have a map, can be Jpeg, any size, you can define in your database the name, xpos, ypos the plugin can go to the specific point with the zoom that you want. This is not difficult to adapt from my GIS app. My GIS app loads the coordinates from a Garmin GPS, so it´s not so difficult to do.  if you want I can do it, but I need 4,5 days, because I´m just finishing to setup my system again and I have to post 2 or 3 requests before it.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:34 am

Hi Alberto,

I don't really have a map format yet, well I do, it is pdf, but I can make it just about anything, including wmf.  Or I can get another map.  I think TIFF and PDF both scale nicely also.  I have lots of options that way.

If you have something that we can turn into a simlple maping plugin that would be great.  My thinking is that I would like to go both ways if possilbe, map selection to data and data to map, but the later is my real need. If I have the coord or ? in the database, I want to show the location in the map and be able to zoom out so they can see how to get there.  

I have a customer for this so I don't want any free development.  Thanks for your interest and let me know what you might be able to do.  I am not in a huge rush so when you can fit it into your busy schedule.

I can send you my 5meg pdf map if you would like.  I can also break it up into smaller maps (I 'm told, but haven't tried yet)

Thanks

Map

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:58 am

Don, send me a jpeg image file. It´s better for my tests.
Cheers

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:03 am

Hello Alberto,

JUst checking on status of this item.
Sounded like in your last email it was getting close.
I know you are a very busy man. :)

Thanks for the help.  Your new site seems quite fast.  Hope it stays safe for you.

Don

Hi Don

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:16 am

Oh, yes. Delayed because my site problems. Now I can do my regular stuff without worry. Just give me a day or two.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:34 pm

A little something to add into the mapping debate (yes, GK51, it was me you helped with ideas for map panning).  I haven't tried this yet, but I was interested in the possibility that Alberto's freeware tmDragDropObj PlugIn could be used for panning a map bigger than the publication window.  Set the (bitmap) map into an image object, which is drag-droppable, then just drag to whichever part you need access to.  In my case I made a group object containing the image object and overlaid buttons to call up images, more detailed maps etc.  The project was not completed, but I could see the techniques being useful in future.

Return to Misc. Questions and Information