Source language: Translate to:

hpwSQLite - New wrapper-plugin for SQLite DB

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

hpwSQLite - New wrapper-plugin for SQLite DB

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:24 am

Just released initial hpwSQLite 1.0:

http://www.hpwsoft.de/anmeldung/html1/n ... ook12.html

A wrapper-plugin for the great, free SQLite database.

http://www.sqlite.org/

Actions: hpwSQLiteCreate - Append a SQLite-control to an existing NeoBook Rectangle object.
Actions: hpwSQLiteDelete - Remove a SQLite-control previously attached to a Rectangle object.
Actions: hpwSQLiteQuery - Perform a query in SQLite-DB.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

hpwSQLite

Postby jrwebb » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:36 am

Hans:

I can't believe you did this!!! I couldn't be more pleased.

I just downloaded the plugin and will get started with my evaluation. I will let you know what I learn.

I can't thank you enough!

Joe
jrwebb

hpwSQLite

Postby djold1 » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:49 am

This looks great.

Where do we place the .dll, please?

If you get time a short start-up guide or page for those of us who are novices at SQL would be appreciated.  Some of this is not intuitive.
djold1

hpwSQLite

Postby jrwebb » Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:26 am

If you're not familiary with SQL, download Jan's freeware EasySQLite. Its a small free program that provides a graphical interface with SQLite, but he also provides some instructive material in his user manual.

http://jansfreeware.com/easysqlite.zip

I'm just amazed that Hans did this. This single plugin (in my view) has the capacity to fundementally change NeoBook's suitability for larger, more complex data-centric projects.

Just outstanding!

Joe
jrwebb

hpwSQLite

Postby HPW » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:52 am

The DLL has to be in the [PUBDIR] or in the search-path for standard DLL-calling.

For SQL-doku the SQLite-syntax.html comes with the ZIP. For other information look at the SQlite-site.

This first release is a basic implementation. On the rectangle is a memo-object which acts as the interface to the DB-DLL. There comes in the raw data from the DLL-query. From there a neobook-stringlist is generated which a choosable delimiter. It acts as an 2-dimensional array and can further processed with commands from hpwControl. Stills there is room to improve it in the future. May be it can be done in some future version-numbers.

jrwebb: Thanks for pointing me to the free SQLite. I like it myself, because I code in oracle-SQL and find it very good to do SQL in a neobook-enviroment.
HPW

hpwSQLite

Postby Luiz Alfredo » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:57 am

Great Plugin Hans-Peter.

Thanks,

Luiz Alfredo
Luiz Alfredo

hpwSQLite

Postby HPW » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:12 am

Just released hpwSQLite 1.01:

Variable: hpwSQliteVersion - Contains Info about SQLite-Version (2.8.0).
Variable: hpwSQLiteLastError - Contain the SQLite error-number.
Variable: hpwSQLiteLastErrorMessage - Contains the SQLite error message.
Actions have now a edit dialog to choose the rectangle.

(Edited by HPW at 5:12 pm on Mar. 23, 2003)
HPW

hpwSQLite

Postby HPW » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:29 am

Just released hpwSQLite 1.02:

Variable: hpwSQliteChangeCount - Contains Info about changed records.
Actions: hpwSTR2SQL - Convert a string to SQL-string.
Actions: hpwSQL2STR - Convert a SQL-string to string.
HPW

hpwSQLite

Postby marlo » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:44 pm

Congratulations HP. You make a really great contribution with your freeware plugin to all Neobook community!!! great!
marlo

hpwSQLite

Postby nastone1 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:55 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeet!
nastone1

hpwSQLite

Postby jrwebb » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:02 pm

HPW:

I read in another post today that you are working on a new version of the SQLite plugin.  I was wondering if there are going to be any fundemental changes in the way the plugin works?

I ask because I have used the current version in a publication that uses some external slight-of-hand to populate SQLite tables with data from an XML source, and manipulates it further in the neobook pub.

This has been a remarkably powerful utility for the family of pubs I'm working on and would like to discover as soon as possible if there is a better- perhaps more efficient way to do what I've done here.

If you'd prefer not to devote any time to describing those changes now, I will understand and will happily await the new version.

Thanks again for the powerful plugin. If sex were as good as SQLite - I'd have 9 girlfriends right now :)

Joe
jrwebb

hpwSQLite

Postby HPW » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:41 pm

>I was wondering if there are going to be any fundemental changes in the way the plugin works?

No changes for the way it works with SQLite. Through the power of SQL it is good in the way it works. I am only thinking about interface-improvments.

(Edited by HPW at 8:43 pm on April 4, 2003)
HPW

hpwSQLite

Postby jrwebb » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:32 pm

Thanks.

I look forward to the new version.

Joe
jrwebb

hpwSQLite

Postby HPW » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:28 pm

Not yet ready, so no new release in this moment.

Only some comment to this off-topic from rcohen:

>Then, how easy is it to create and use databases using this plugin and the SQLite product?  I'd LOVE to have a more robust database option, but I only saw a few commands in the plug and was (am) absolutely clueless on what to DO with them.

Only a few commands is not a measurement for the power they can provide. hpwSQLite like hpwDLLcall only open the door to a huge array of possibility. I subscribed to the SQLite mailinglist to listen to the power-users and I see that I did not know much of what can be done with it. So I am still not very good for a SQLite demo.

May be jrwebb can provide a strip down example with a little sample database to show how it can be done in neobook?

(Edited by HPW at 8:29 am on April 14, 2003)
HPW

hpwSQLite

Postby HPW » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:29 pm

Not yet complete, but take a look at hpwSQLite 1.03:

Actions: hpwGridCreate - Append a Grid-Control to an existing NeoBook Rectangle object.
Actions: hpwGridDelete - Remove a Grid-control previously attached to a Rectangle object.
Actions: hpwGridColWidths - Set a column-width of a Grid-Control.
Actions: hpwGridRowHeights - Set a row-height of a Grid-Control.
Actions: hpwGridCells - Set a cell-value of a Grid-Control.

Also a bunch of Variable to set up the grid.
It's is a first basic set to get a generic grid for neobook. So no connection to the SQlite DB in the sample pub. The events can be used to set up a db-connect.
HPW

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions