Source language: Translate to:

Touch Screen Kiosks

NeoBook tips, tricks, code samples and more...

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Touch Screen Kiosks

Postby Jim Brammer » Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:22 pm

Touch screen kiosks

I think I might have sold my first kiosk job. I have
never worked with touch screens before so I need to
get some information. (Part of the fun of being in
this business is you get to learn a lot of new
things :-)

Has anyone on this list used NeoBook to develop
a touch screen program?

And could anyone recommend some web sites and
books on building touch screen kiosks.

Thanks for any and all information.

- Steve

<hr>

Steve,

I've heard Ronnie talk about it (sort of), so I tush ume he has...

Troy

<hr>

Actually doing a touch screen interactive *** self-running demo is almost the same as a standard mouse-clickable demo.

On the hardware side, you need to get one of those touch-screen monitors or add-ons... (check the web for names like MicroTouch...) to allow you to calibrate the screen coordinates to the screen/demo. I remembered HP has some touch-screen monitors... not sure whether it's available in your area...

Make sure the hardware is 'protected' from abuse.. like kids pressing too hard.. or in many cases... kids (and adults too)... eating eye-creams... with hands dirty and sweaty.. touching the screens.. Too bad... they don't design car-like wipers on the screen..  

On the software side, the following factors are important:

1. Buttons has to be bigger and spacing wider to allow the fingers to 'touch' on the correct buttons.

2. The demo has to take into consideration, a start timer so that upon 'x' minutes of inactivity, it will go to another screen.

3. When user touch some hotspot/buttons.. the timer has to be restarted.

4. Ideally, the mouse cursor is hidden.

5. If you're good in MCI controls... you can actually check the duration/time of the video playback.. and once video ends... it will go to another screen or whatever actions you want it to be.

6. You have to do a lot of stress-test on your demo. Expect the unexpected. Get someone who knows nothing about your demo.. or some young kids... get them to play around... touch here, touch there. Also try touching all buttons and hotspots in quick succession to test whether your demo is 'robust' enough to handle interrupted sequences.. and abuse. And should any error message appears or bugs found... you can fix them asap..

I did a few similar projects for my day-job company a few years ago... and some 'converted' it to a touch screen... it's easy.. as long as your demo is designed for touch-screen concept... whether it's mouse-clickable or touch screen... both will work.

NeoBook can be used to do interactive kiosk easily...

Rgds
Ronnie

<hr>

Thanks for the information Ronnie.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be too hard. I am going to
invest in a good touch screen monitor and play with
it for a few days. The units will show videos so there
is going to be limited user interaction so my first project
should be fairly straightforward. (I hope :-)

From what I understand, most touch screen monitors
come with Windows drivers that allow you to set the
"touch" button regions using X and Y coordinates.

I'll let you know how it works out.

- Steve

<hr>

Steve

You also get addon touch screens that fit over your regular monitors like an antiglare screen. These are quite inexspensive and work as if they were a mouse. wherever you touch it translates into a click.

regards - Paul

<hr>

Thanks for the tip. I just did a Google search and discovered a company called Keytec that makes a product called Magic Touch at www.magictouch.com/addon.htm

And at $260 for the size that fits a 17 inch monitor, they are less than the $450 to $1,000 it costs for a touch screen monitor. The only reason why I probably won't go with an addon touch screen is I wouldn't want to leave it in a public place, like a shopping mall, but something like this would work well in a controlled environment like a school or business.

Thanks again,

Steve

<hr>

Steve,

When you buy a touch-screen monitor, and need some air to loosen up... download my arcade-style games (the most popular one is "Spot the Diff'").. and have some fun playing it on the touch screen monitor....

www.ronmarie.com/products.html

Rgds
Ronnie  

<hr>

Al Meyer
I have experience with this matter. I work with MicroTouch hardware and they are very good and reliable.
Jim Brammer

Return to NeoBook Knowledgebase