Source language: Translate to:

Using ShowObject

NeoBook tips, tricks, code samples and more...

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Using ShowObject

Postby Jim Brammer » Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:16 pm

I am currently using ShowObject successfully to display an image when the action and the object are on the same page.

When I place the object on another page, with the ShowObject action remaining in its original place, it doesn't seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a "feature" of the system?

This is not too important, but I am just curious which way it should be..

TIA

Pete Charlton

<hr>

Hi Pete,

When you use ShowObject (let's say) to show 'Object1' on Page1, and when you are in Page 2, if you use ShowObject to show 'Object1', it will not display the Object on Page 2... instead it's shown on Page 1.

If you copy the same object from Page 1 to Page 2, you need to modify the 'Object1' to 'Object2'.

If you want just one version, put 'Object1' in MasterPage and hide it. Then use ShowObject to display them. However, a word of caution... if there is any page where you use PopUp, dialog, etc... that may 'affect' your 'Object1' image... because anything that's placed on MasterPage is in the bottom most layer...

Rgds
Ronnie

<hr>

Hi Pete,

There's many reasons why sometimes using ShowObject to show/hide a different page is ideal. For example, you may have a masterpage full of different buttons. So, on Page 1..depending on the action/variables, etc., before going to another page, you can hide certain buttons.

Another example is - let's say you have created the best NeoBook project and distribute it as Shareware. On Page 1, you have an option to allow user to register or to try it out, before going to Main Menu. On the Main Mneu page, depending on the action the user selected, you can hide the 'shareware' reminder message. Oh.. backtrack to Page 1 again.. when user clicks (let's say, OK button) the transition effect will show Main Menu. So, when you hide an object in Main Menu before actually going to Main Menu... the transition effect will not show the 'shareware' reminder screen. But if you hide the object from Main Menu itself... then... when Page 1 transits to Main Menu... the 'shareware' screen is displayed. These are some of the technqiues I usually used... and you can expect to see more when I release my 'photo' project... later.

Rgds
Ronnie
Jim Brammer

Return to NeoBook Knowledgebase