Source language: Translate to:

Is this Possible Yet....... - Conferencing.....

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Is this Possible Yet....... - Conferencing.....

Postby domino » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:53 am

As the quantity and quality of developer input increases... I wonder if I`m alone in not being able to keep track of the potential things that can be done with Neobook...  

So.. how close are 'we' (collective term for NeoBook capability) to being able to produce something similar to this application... (given a reasonable, but standard type of Web hosting account)

Live Voicing (VOIP) over a 'streamed' slideshow or flash movie to multiple users (say maximum of 30 at a time) with an appropriate NeoBook pub to engage through....   (similar idea to Placeware -  Now http://main.placeware.com/  Microsoft Live Meeting)

I've been thinking of some theoretical ways of doing this without the need for expensive server side software.. or prohibitive bandwidth costs...
but I don`t know enough about VOIP to know if it is capable of broadcasting or not....

Hope this message doesn`t sound too confused......
I`ll go and have a lie down now..

Dave
domino

Is this Possible Yet.......

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:04 am

Very close. I will provide a plugin in a next few days (in my tmInternet Suite), that do VoIP with broadcast capabilities. I had an application, in beta stages (some people here have) to do VoIP. And with the other plugin, tmsockets, you can send messages or screens to another people connected.

Cheers
Alberto Meyer

Postby domino » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:38 am

Excellent news....
domino

Postby DPayer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:45 am

You mention "prohibitive bandwidth costs". That is a relative term.

If you want to stream 140 Kilobit/sec streams of video to 30 people, you will need a machine capable of sending out 30 x 140 kilobits/sec or approximately 3 T1 connections. If you are all on the same lan, it most likely will not be a problem. If you are connecting machines over the Internet, it most likely WILL be a problem.

Bandwidth utilization is cumulative. The server must be able to open an individual stream to each recipient UNLESS you have a multicast routing in place and this is only done inside an enterprise network optimized for such traffic. The Internet is not organized for multicast routing.

David P.
DPayer

Return to Misc. Questions and Information