Moderator: Neosoft Support

hmmm

Postby SpiritHorseNOOT » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:14 am

is it just me or is neobook going stale so to speak
SpiritHorseNOOT

hmmm

Postby djold1 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:25 am

I doubt that NeoBook is going "stale".

Look at the number of new plug-ins, both from NeoSoft and 3rd party developers, and the fact that the number of solid subscribers to this Forum keeps growing. This suggests that NeoBook is a thriving development & training tool. The fairly serious nature of the messages on this forum and the lack of complaints about "bugs" also suggests that NeoBook is being used for "real" applications for the "real" world as well as for serious training of new applications developers. NeoBook is definitely not a trivial product meant mainly for intermitent dabblers.

That leaves your other option..

There will always be those that live for the latest update whether they use it or not, and that judge a product by the quantitiy of the updates & features, not quality.  A serious developer, of which NeoBook has many, uses what they have to produce useful applications. New updates are great, but NeoBook is already such a strong development tool that it is not necessary to beef the product up every month or two.

(Edited by djold1 at 2:26 pm on July 21, 2004)
djold1

hmmm

Postby SpiritHorseNOOT » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:03 am

didn't particually mean that it needed an update every few months or so ....was mainly refering to the forums more or less but on the other hand it is probably just me with a completely blank mind for the last few months even with all the new plugins so i guess what i need is a little help on so basic ideas on what to do after all this is a support for neobook and its users isn't it ???  

(Edited by SpiritHorseNOOT at 7:20 am on July 21, 2004)
SpiritHorseNOOT

hmmm

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:53 am

Just an opinion, but I think people can think in producing more fanzines, e-books, e-magazines, trivia games, kids education, etc, rather trying to produce an application that already exists. It´s cool to have an e-zine that auto-update itself, have a browser, sand e-mails, etc. When I have to produce a training material, an e-zine for my customers, an intro CD menu, a trivia game, I use Neobook, for sure.

I´m not telling that you can´t produce a full feature application. Sure you CAN. But you run out of ideas, just think: what subject I know more and how can I share this knowledge with other people? Using Neobook, of course. There are always someone who want to learn more about something.  

A cool thing that I certainly download is a compilation of news about computers (hardware & software). A Neobook application that, everyday download from a site the latest news about informatics.

(Edited by Alberto Meyer at 5:59 am on July 21, 2004)
Alberto Meyer

hmmm

Postby djold1 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:09 am

We know NeoBook itself is not stale.

And you seem to be saying that you are having problems coming up with projects even though there are a lot of new capabilities offered with the extended plug-ins.

In some ways I feel the same way. Many of the new plug-ins are for fields in which I have no great knowledge right now. I too am having problems visualizing what I would use something like the WebEdit plug-in for. Or a 3D plug-in. However, I do know what I will use an FTP plug-in on.

The problem is that  I am "stale".  I have let my areas of interest shrink too much and now I need to start thinking and learning more about web based applications and some up with projects for them.

In my case this is not the fault of NeoBook. It is me. Tunnel vision has limited my viewpoint and I need to make the personal effort to get smart in other areas. Because I know that once I understand what is going on in a particular field, I will be able to come up with useful applications.

NeoBook ain't broke. It's me

(Edited by djold1 at 6:10 pm on July 21, 2004)
djold1

hmmm

Postby Alberto Meyer » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:30 am

See the AlfB´s soccer application. It´s a very cool thing to do with Neobook. Pehaps someone can make such a thing for the Olympic games, to lets us know result, medals, records, etc.
Alberto Meyer

hmmm

Postby SpiritHorseNOOT » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:00 am

i would have to agree with that one dj without any doubt it is me not Neobook or the Plugin developers
SpiritHorseNOOT

hmmm

Postby AlfB » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:03 am

thx Alberto ;O)

I agree, it isn't always easy to find new interesting targets even with a terrific product like NB. when you look at the meanwhile x-DVDs full with windows applications, you could even start thinking: everything exist already, so why puzzling around any more. but... lots of applications which exist are from the users point of view not too easy to use. there could be a way to get new ideas: existing products, somehow improved and easier to use, with good documentation. and there is still plenty to do with a tool like neobook, even when the last update is alsmost 9 months ago. concerning me, I'm working hard in education sector (non-profit or low-profit), as there seems to me a wide space. but one thing is clear: even if I was able to sell some of my products to schools, the market is so small and the amounts of money available is (at least in Europe) constantly shrinking for the moment

ALF

PS: why not an Athens2004 NB application. it's plenty of work, though (compared to development of a plugin), and it's just sth for the very moment, after the games people won't look at it too often. my soccer application was done just for fun, and to improve my NB knowledge
AlfB

hmmm

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:44 am

Activity typically slows down in Summer months as people go on vacation and spend more time on outdoor activities. Our Spring and Summer, on the other hand, have been spent working on NeoBook related projects. When people return to their computers in the Fall, hopefully they will have something very interesting to talk about.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

hmmm

Postby Beno » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:36 pm

Hi,

The main tool I use is NB it rocks and it´s allowing me to do nice projects.

My problem is not ideas, mmmh.. well I do not have LOTS ... but the ones I´m developing are progessing and improving.

For the last 10 years I have collaborated in teams developing projects. And I have some projects which I´m playing the "one man" show.

Now my problem is time, and at this moment I can not enroll people to work with me in these last described projects, because eventhough I´m selling my NeoPubs, I can not hire other collagues.

I´m really impressed with the things I can do with NB, in fact I do not use all the features I have availabe with it. NB is the best piece of software I have seen. Thanks Dave and all the good NeoSoft friends.

The main area I feel my NeoPubs lacks is documentation.... phew!... this takes me lots of time... but this must be done.

So please, NeoSoft and NeoPluginPeople, add lots of goodies...  end lets give time to these things to happen...

Saludos,

Beno
Beno

Return to Misc. Questions and Information