Source language: Translate to:

Help with Quickmenu 3

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Help with Quickmenu 3

Postby Nicotine » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:03 pm

Hi’ya

Need a little help with Quickmenu 3, obtained QM3 a longtime ago when DOS 622 was king.  When Win95 came out I still use QM3 for a time, then stop using it, didn’t see the point of using this app on my PC…  But, I have recently obtained a laptop in which is running W98 and W2k on the same system, as it is well know one can bypass the password option in W98 because of this, this is a security failure for people to access my machine without my permission, and QM3 has a password option.

My Problem is after typing in the password into QM3, if I clickon the exit button I used go to windows, this doesn’t happen anymore, for I fix problem and it boots me back into DOS and then back to QM3, but when I clickon windows icon in QM3 nothing happens.  I’ve tried variations of command paths to get it to work, but unfortunately I’ve had no luck.

Is there anyone out there who has figured this problem out.
Nicotine

Help with Quickmenu 3

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:59 am

First of all, make sure you're starting QuikMenu by running QM.BAT and not QM3_PROG.EXE.

You can change how the exit button works by creating a batch file called QMEXIT.BAT and placing it in the QuikMenu directory. Whatever commands you place in that batch file will be executed automatically when QuikMenu shutsdown.

If you are unable to launch Windows from QuikMenu, make sure that the icon's location and command line are correct. You can also try adding the command option !NOSHELL to then end of the command line. For example:

win !NOSHELL
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Help with Quickmenu 3

Postby Nicotine » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:59 pm

Hi’ya,

Wow Mod!  That was quick, only came back here to say never mind, I’ve resolved the problem, I knew it could be done, for I could get QM to work the way I want it to in the past, before I stopped using it sometime ago.  I can’t believe, just how much I’ve forgotten, about DOS and Cmdline, I hardly ever use either formats anymore, and because of this, I think I will be keeping QM on my system to help me, recharge my old memory cells...  One doesn’t have call for it anymore (DOS and Cmdline) when working with Cad.

Thanks for the info… that’s another way to do it, and probably far easier, then the way I have resolved the problem.

First, I’ve removed LODE DOS=HIGH from my Windows CONFIG.SYS.

Second, I made sure that my root CONFIG.SYS and my Windows CONFIG.SYS where the same.

Third, I edited my AUTOEXEC.BAT SET PATH, from and too the following.
Set Path=C:\Windows;C:\Windows\Command;C:\;C:\Progra~1\System~2\Quikmenu
Set Path= C:\;C:\Progra~1\System~2\Quikmenu

You maybe thinking, why the strange QM path line?…  Well, all I can say to that, that there is a method too my strange madness!

1).  For security, I wanted to run QM, as faraway from the root, as possible.

2).  I’ve passworded everything (Both hardware and in QM) no one can access CDRoms or floppy from boot or from QM, until Windows as loaded.

3).  Instead of a W98 screensaver I’m using QM’s (when in QM I’m using it’s screensaver) when in QM, you can’t go anywhere but QM’s front-page, everything is password protected and if you switch the machine off and reboot, all that happens, is that you end-up back at QM’s front-page.

4).  When loading QM from DOS or Windows, it’s loading and dumping different COMMAN.COMs and memory blocks, when going too and from Windows98 (something similar, to what NT does when you use ALT+CRL+DELETE function) to add a little more security, I’m using QM as a kind of dumping ground when going too and from Windows98.

In Ending.
In all the years that I’ve been using Quickmenu, I’m very surprise that you have never utilize Quickmenu too it’s full potential, using it as nothing more then a secure quick-boot.  Quickmenu had, and sill has the potential to be a serious killer utilityapp, in which every PC techie would like to get their hands on, as well as being used in not one area of the computer industry (what you are using it for now) but many other areas and aspics of the computer industry, as well.  It’s a real shame that Neosoft has let Quickmenu go to waste like this.

Regards, Nicotine.
Nicotine

Help with Quickmenu 3

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:22 am

Actually, QuikMenu III was quite popular in the old DOS days. Windows includes its own menuing system which limits the need for utilities like QuikMenu. We do have a Windows version of QuikMenu, but economics dictates that we spend the majority of our resources working on more popular products like NeoBook and NeoPaint.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Help with Quickmenu 3

Postby Nicotine » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Quote:
Actually, QuikMenu III was quite popular in the old DOS days. Windows includes its own menuing system which limits the need for utilities like QuikMenu. We do have a Windows version of QuikMenu.

Exactly what I’m talk about, your still only thinking of it as nothing more then a menuing system, when it has bigger and better possibilities.
Nicotine

Help with Quickmenu 3

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:06 am

Please expand on your ideas for QuikMenu. We're certainly interested if the program has "bigger and better possibilities" that we have overlooked.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to Misc. Questions and Information