Source language: Translate to:

NeoBook Freezes computer under certain situation - Is this a

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeoBook Freezes computer under certain situation - Is this a

Postby John Ballard » Mon May 17, 2004 2:01 pm

Hi,

This is something no probably ever does so if it is a but it is a very minor deal. Here's what happens and when it happens (every time, easy to repeat).

I compile a pub that uses ExtractFile. I actually extract a bunch of files, but one of them is an empty .txt file. If I check the options to compress the publication's source code and compress the files, all is well.

However, if I uncheck those two options, during compile my computer totally freezes when it gets to the 0kb .txt file. CTRL-ALT-DEL, mouse, nothing works except reset button.

I can remedy the problem by typing some data into the .txt file or by checking the compression options. So it's no problem, just wanted to mention it for future updates.

Sincerely,
John Ballard
John Ballard

NeoBook Freezes computer under certain situation

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon May 17, 2004 3:51 pm

Hi John,

You're right that's an unusual situation. I'm sure we never expected that anyone would try to compress a zero K file. From your description it certainly sounds like the compiler's file compressor is the culprit.

I've printed out your message and will make sure we tackle this in the next update.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby John Ballard » Wed May 19, 2004 4:39 pm

Thanks--I'm probably the only person to try something that goofy. NeoBook is the most stable program I have ever worked with in Windows so I was very surprised when I made it freeze. That's hard to do. :-)

>>I'm sure we never expected that anyone would
>>try to compress a zero K file.

Just FYI, I actually meant it the other way. It freezes when I try to compile it with compression turned OFF. If I do use compression, it works fine.

John Ballard
John Ballard

Postby Sam Cox » Wed May 19, 2004 5:09 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for reporting this problem to the rest of us.

With the compression options you probably don't need a work-around, but here's one anyway. Instead of using the ExtractFile command, you could create the zero-length text file on your customer's disk with these commands.

..create zero-length text file
    SetVar "[filename]" "[PubDir]zerolength.txt"
    FileWrite "[filename]" "All" ""
Sam Cox

Postby John Ballard » Wed May 19, 2004 6:27 pm

Thanks, that's a great idea!

John Ballard
John Ballard

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu May 20, 2004 3:15 pm

>>Just FYI, I actually meant it the other way. It freezes when I try to compile it with compression turned OFF. If I do use compression, it works fine.<<

I'm sorry, I misread your post. I will definitely add this to our list of things to correct in the next update.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to Misc. Questions and Information