Source language: Translate to:

News ... Apple coming to Dave's Backyard

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

News ... Apple coming to Dave's Backyard

Postby Gaev » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:23 am

According to this story ... http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57336 ... in-oregon/ ... Apple is going to build a data center in Oregon.

I asked Google Maps for directions from Bend, Oregon to Prineville, Oregon ... and it drew a path through Redmond ... I thought it was funny ... until I realized that Microsoft's home is in Redmond, Washington !!!

Anyway, if Dave has some land in Prineville, it should make him a gazzilionaire.

Of course, Apple will insist on changing the name of the town/city to iPrineville ... and perhaps the state to be iOregon .
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 pm

It sounds great, but once the construction is completed, data centers like the existing FaceBook facility in Prineville, only employ about 35 people. Tax breaks also allow them to pay zero property taxes for 15 years, so the benefit to the community is less than it sounds. Oregon doesn't have a sales tax so schools are financed primarily through property taxes which means FaceBook and Apple will be contributing virtually nothing to education and nothing to infrastructure. Of course, Prineville's unemployment rate is 18%, so 35 jobs is something. To be fair there were a significant number of temporary construction jobs created during the construction of FaceBook's data center.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to Misc. Questions and Information