Page 2 of 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:05 am
by Gaev

When I try and read your website file ( ... ersion.txt) in Internet Explorer, I get a customized "Page Not Found" response ... with the content looking something like ...

The page you tried to access does not exist on this server.
This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.
... and yes, its first line (if you do a View Source menu command) is "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN".

The web server on your website is designed to send this customized page whenever a requested file is not found ... so the NeoBook DownloadFile command does NOT get any error message ... and is not able to tell if the requested web page or the standard error page is being responded with.

a) you need to make sure that the requested .txt file is placed in the specified folder on your website ... and is accessible by any user using this address (say in Internet Explorer)

b) after downloading the file, you need to make some "due diligence" test to make sure it is what you were expecting ...

- perhaps the first line of the txt file could be something like "This is the latest version of program xxxx.exe" and the second line could have the latest version of this program

- then your program would make sure that the first line contains the expected text string ... and only if it does, would it compare the second line's content

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:00 am
by Wrangler
If you are downloading the file from a unix server, filenames are case sensitive. Make sure the file on the server is named exactly as your code, with the capital letters. It is a good rule of thumb to name all unix files in lowercase. Less problems that way.

To debug things like this, comment out all your code, and release it one line at a time. First:

DownloadFile ""

Check that the file is downloaded. If so, release the next block of code and check that. If not, figure out why it didn't download etc. Less stress on the brain that way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:14 pm
by mote

Thanks for all your instructions. I have figured out what was wrong.

1. my .txt file was misspelled with the word LastestVersion.txt.
After fixing that, it sill would not work so I did step two.

2. I changed my download link to and it works fine now. It reads both .txt file and PubVersion.

Again, thanks for all your help.