Source language: Translate to:

Request: Hide application while loading.

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Request: Hide application while loading.

Postby sombra » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:30 am

Hello,

This suggestion do reference to the code located in "Book Properties" > "Actions" > "Startup"(tab)

Applications compiled with neobook act like this: First, application is loaded and interface program is displayed, later the code located in the startup(tab) is executed.
IMHO, sometimes this situation is a bit annoying. Here some examples:
  • When an application is compiled for run in system tray. > during a brief flash, the application is displayed and later it go minimized to system tray.
  • Imagine an application with a custom image background according the user preferences. > Application is displayed, image is autochanged. Instead of show directly the application with the custom image preloaded.
  • Imagine a multilingual application. > On start-up the application is displayed in a foreign language, an ~one second later the interface is changed. (this could be done in hidden mode too).
  • Imagine an application which handle parameters passed by command line. > Application is flashed/displayed.
  • Imagine any application which save configuration inside an ini file and it must be loaded at startup, such changes are visible to the user like (font style, colors, size publication, etc.).
  • These one are only a bit of examples, but you can imagine a lot of more.

Would be nice if the code located in startup(tab) was executed before that application is displayed (or in hidden mode) An idea :idea::
A checkbox in header (unchecked by default) with the text: [x] "Execute actions below in hidden mode"
This could do the trick, avoid the examples wrote above and old publications would be compatibles too.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
sombra

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:39 am

Thank you for your well thought out suggestion. Compatibility with existing applications is very important when adding new features and it looks like you taken that into consideration. I will certainly add this to our list of things to consider for the next update.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Gaev » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:01 am

sombra:

Many years ago I was informed that the sequence of events was ...

i) render the display of objects in first page

ii) service commands in PageEnter section of first page

iii) service commands in Startup section of pub

... the reason for doing (i) first was that it would allow for object related commands ... RefreshObject, MoveObject, SizeObject, ListBoxAdditem, SetObjectFileName etc. etc. to work properly.

Would your requirements be met if ...

i) at Design time, you set the Window size to a very small number ... and/or made your first page with no objects at all

ii) in the Startup section, you ...

- have commands to do any "initialization" operations
- navigate to the real Page 1
- adjust the application window to desired size and location

Custom Splash Screens can also be "simulated" by ...

i) defining a Picture object on Page 1 ... but placing it off screen at Design time
ii) in your Startup section ...

- load desired image into it
- size it to be same as window
- move it to top left corner of window
Gaev

Postby sombra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:55 am

Hello Neosoft Support and Gaev,
I will certainly add this to our list of things to consider for the next update.

Thank you for consideration, indeed. :)

2Gaev
Gaev wrote:Many years ago I was informed that the sequence of events was ...

Good know it, thanks. :)

Time ago, I have used some workarounds/tips that you have wrote. A different method is used in this application. It is compiled for run in window order: always on bottom (I always run this application from another opened program) , then language interface is changed, and the last code in start page is: setvar "[WindowOrder]" "ontop" setvar "[WindowOrder]" "normal" for bring to front the application.

I f this suggestion was adapted to neobook, for not show any window while is executing code in start page... The tab "start page" would more sense (even we could create a pseudo-hidden application). Don't you think?

Regards.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
sombra

Return to NeoBook Suggestions