Source language: Translate to:

Media Player Object and AVI Files

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Media Player Object and AVI Files

Postby David de Argentina » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi Dave,

I had checked that some AVI files didn't work within Media Player Object.

All codecs are installed and this AVI files works fine in another players in the same computer

Another user told me the same problem with Midi files.

Problems were checked with NeoBook 5.5.3 and 5.5.4

Thanks in advance

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi David,

Most types of AVI files should work, but there may be some drivers that don't support the MCI interface used by NeoBook's Media Player. If you're having problems you can try converting your AVI files to one of the more common codecs bundled with Windows or using the NeoBookDX plug-in.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby seanie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:28 pm

Neosoft Support wrote:Hi David,

Most types of AVI files should work, but there may be some drivers that don't support the MCI interface used by NeoBook's Media Player. If you're having problems you can try converting your AVI files to one of the more common codecs bundled with Windows or using the NeoBookDX plug-in.

I've just about given up on the DX plug-in. I can't get it to work. So.... how does one go about converting the AVI files as you have suggested? I have the same problem as the OP: AVIs that play fine with WMP, will not play in a NeoBook publication. No such problem with MPEG, but the size of MPEG files severely restricts the amount of video I can embed.
seanie

Postby Wrangler » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 am

Seanie:

You can convert the files using any one of thousands of video converters available. Some will convert only avi to a number of other formats, and some will convert anything to anything. If you deal with video a lot, a program like this is a great addition to the toolbox.

Whatever format you use, the user must have the proper codec installed for it to play. I have had avi files that will NOT play in Media Player, but played fine using NeoDX. This must be due to what Dave mentioned.

What is it about the DX plug that won't work for you? Someone here would be glad to help you with any problems you are having. It's a great plug. I just created a full blown playlist generator, media player with DX in just a couple of days.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby seanie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:55 am

Hi Wrangler,

First, Thank you for replying.

Second, I'd like to apologise for writing here. I got here by doing a search for AVIs. It was only after I had posted that I realised this is the Suggestion Thread.

I'm probably just doing something wrong. When I try to incorporate an AVI file in a NeoBook publication using the DX plug-in, I get audio, but no picture. The same thing happens with MPEGS. Since customer support at NeoBook (very good!) says most people are pretty satisfied with the plug-in, and you feel the same, I'm probably just a bit software-challenged :)

When I embed MPEG video without the plug-in, there's no problem. AVIs simply don't work. Nothing. Anyway, I've come up with my own "solution": I'll just forget about using (or paying for) the plug-in and also forget about embedding any videos in publications unless they are very small (no more than about 5 minutes). All other vids I'll just include in a separate folder as AVI files, so that size won't become an issue. Not great, but good enough for me for now.

Thanks again.
seanie

Return to NeoBook Suggestions