Source language: Translate to:

User Specified [DownloadProgress] Variable

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

User Specified [DownloadProgress] Variable

Postby remlap » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:38 am

I don't know how possible this is, but it would be really useful if the [DownloadProgress] variable could be defined by user. That way, it would be possible to have multiple downloads each with its own 'progress' variable?

Cheers for the consideration
remlap

Postby smartmedia » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:10 am

Hi...

Very nice idea... Also some times i have notice that the refresh is a little bit problematic... Anyone who has the same results...???
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:16 am

Is it any faster to do multiple downloads at the same time or one after the other? It seems like it would take about the same amount of time, but maybe that's not true.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby remlap » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:10 am

Hi Dave and Smart

The kind of scenario I'm thinks of is in perhaps, the downloading of media files. Much like on many P2P apps, a number of downloads can be taken at the same time, each with their own progress bar.

If the downloads were all coming from different servers, at different speeds, and if the end-user had a, big-broadband connection they could save some time doing it this way?

I've got a couple of projects which download media files. At present, I'm limited to either single downloads or batch processing them. If I could define the <DownloadProgress> variable, then multiple simultaneous downloads would be possible, which could better exploit the end-users broadband connection.

Smart, I haven't noticed any problems with the refresh?

Cheers
remlap

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks for the clarification. I will add this suggestion to the list of things to look into.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby edunaway » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:58 am

Downloading multiple files could increase the likelihood of download interruptions especially if there is a server in the group that is slow or times out after a certain number of seconds of inactivity.

How does NB cache file downloads? Is it relying on Windows/Internet Explorer to manage this at the system level? Would it be feasible to enable pause/resume for file downloads?

-eric
edunaway

Return to NeoBook Suggestions