Source language: Translate to:

My NeoBook Plugins are discontinued

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

My NeoBook Plugins are discontinued

Postby pfisterhamj » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:21 am

Hello,

due to some problems with a customer I decided to give up my business with plugin development for NeoBook.

My homepage is offline.

Thanks for all that supported me.
pfisterhamj

Re: My NeoBook Plugins are discontinued

Postby HPW » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:28 am

Hello,

Bad news for your customers and for the community.

What kind of problems with a customer can press a developer to give up ?

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby shx » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 am

I agree, this is bad news.

I am one of your current customers and really like your work.

I would very much appreciate it if you would reconsider.
- Steven
shx

Postby pfisterhamj » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 am

@HPW

I don't want go into details. But this customer showed me that it is not worthy to go further with commercial plugins.

I develop my plugins in free time. Over the day I work in a company (as software developer). This efforts needed for this customer are not really in 25 USD. So I decided to make this step because my wife also needs me and I don't want writing emails over emails with the result that the customer wants his money back.

@shx
Perhaps some freeware plugins
pfisterhamj

Postby shx » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:10 am

pfisterhamj,

I like and use the plug-in that I purchased from you in a commercial software that I sell. I would like to know that you are going to be there to support them in the future.

I hope that you will not let one customer spoil your work for everyone else.
- Steven
shx

Postby pfisterhamj » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:21 am

hello shx,

I'm going out off business with my commercial plugins. Also my support end with it.

Sorry for that.
pfisterhamj

Postby HPW » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:29 am

Hello pfisterhamj,

I understand that plugin business can be hard work on low budget.
(I spend also a bunch of time on support calls, but I get also well tested plugin over time)

You may consider to release the source as open-source.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby dec » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 am

Hello to all,

Please, Jürgen, try to read my bad english and try to undersand that I talk following my own experience in software development, and, more particularly, in plugins for NeoBook development. So I only want to help you from my own experience. Of course then you can choose your own way, but, please, read me as a friend that appreciate your work and want to talk something about your last decision.

First of all, you know that software development is not easy. Lot of competitors, good programmers, so is not easy to make money or a life from software development. Maybe I'm wrong, but, one thing I can learn during my experience is this: have patience, be patience. Al this paragraph can be take as is if talking more particularly about plugins for NeoBook development. Patience. Tolerance.

At least ten years ago (ten years!) I begin to develop some NeoBook plugins, and, since my patience ar not the same that currently, I decide to abandond these projects and plugins. Right now I be sorry about this past decision. It's truth that we cannot begin rich with this development, but, hey, something is more than nothing at all. Grab this on your mind: something is ever more than nothing at all.

About your "problematic" customer I want to say something. First of all, that, as you know, not all the customers are the same, act in the same way, need the same support, etc. So you need to accomodate your support to all the customers and don't think that anybody act in the same way. Finally, I think that you can, perfectly, say to this customer: "No; sir. My plugin do this, this and this other thing, but you need a custom development work".

This customer need to understand your "no", since you can reasonably explain the reasons of your negative answer. If you continue having problems, hey, we can help to you in some ways. Firstly, for example, in a development plane, and, then talking with your customer (maybe we know this person) once we know what they wanted. But, in any way, not judge to all the customers in the same way: in this particular case, most probably, your customer is wrong and need to understand your considerations.

So, Jürgen, read again my first sentence: something is always more than nothing at all. If you abandond your work (hey, I repeat, YOUR WORK) you cannot get nothing at all, and, on the other hand, your plugins can be useful (Steven talk about before) for some other persons, not only your currently customers, but some new customers that can come in the near future. Remember that ten years ago I abandond my work and I be worry about my decision. And after all I develop more and more plugins with the time!

P.S. Yes; my customers are not legion and the money that I can get from my plugins are not to much, but, at the least (with some minor exceptions) I deal with good people, good persons who use NeoBook and my plugins (and others plugins) in order to make real their own projects. Tell your "particular" customer that you cannot do something and, if don't understand, simply refund their money, but never, never abandond your work! Hope this letters can help you in some manner, and, anyway, count with my respect for your decision Jürgen.

P.S.2. Put again your site online like if nothing ocurr! And take two cinema tickets in order to view a film with your wife. The two things can be doing without abandond anyone! :mrgreen:
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby pfisterhamj » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:17 am

Hello dec,

thanks for your words. It is not so easy for me as it sounds. I don't wont to punish all other customers. But I've come to the conclusion that it be the best for me that I stop developing commercial plugins.

This doesn't mean that I publish no more plugins. I think some freeware are possible over the time. My further plans are not clear. Maybe I will release my existing plugins as freeware. But I don't know.

Best regards
pfisterhamj

Postby dec » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 am

Hello Jürgen,

I say not it's easy to take your decision,... because I know it's not easy! However, I know that put down a website take five minutes, and maybe is a decision that need more than five minutes,... maybe years? Anyway, put up a website take another five minutes... so don't believe that anybody here can think this or this other: just put up the website online. Of course I respect (I think that can say we respect) your decision at all and animate you to continue with your current and new projects in the near future. ;)

On the other hand...

Hans Peter wrote:What kind of problems with a customer can press a developer to give up ?

+1
dec

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:40 am

Jürgen,

If you would like to release your plug-ins as freeware or open source, we would be happy to host the files on NeoSoft's server.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby pfisterhamj » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 am

Hello,

I think my homepage goes online again. My freeware plugins will also be available again.

My commercial Plugins are not fully published again. The dbSQLite Plugin is not continued at this time and the project is stopped.

NeoDevNotify perhaps will be up again.

I think until december my homepage should be available again.

Thanks for the great words
pfisterhamj

Postby dec » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 am

pfisterhamj wrote:Hello,

I think my homepage goes online again. My freeware plugins will also be available again.

My commercial Plugins are not fully published again. The dbSQLite Plugin is not continued at this time and the project is stopped.

NeoDevNotify perhaps will be up again.

I think until december my homepage should be available again.

Thanks for the great words

Great! Don't worry, be patience, and get out the stress! ;-)
dec

Postby shx » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:14 pm

The dbSQLite Plugin is not continued at this time and the project is stopped.
This is the one that I purchased. Can you explain if there is any issues with the plug-in. I haven't seen any.
- Steven
shx

Postby pfisterhamj » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:08 am

Hello Steven,

don't worry. The following does dbSQLite not:

- Handling unicode (never planned)
- Dialog scaling if you Zoom your Desktop (only in edit mode)

Only the above are known. The unicode was never planned in dbSQLite.

There is nothing hidden. For that I made unlimited evaluation that everyone can test that the plugin fits his needs.

if you work well with dbsqlite now don't worry about the above things.

But the most important reason for my decision is, that dbsqlite is the biggest of my NeoBook plugin projects.
pfisterhamj

Return to PlugIn Discussions