Source language: Translate to:

NeoBookDB v2.3d, PKG and Internal FTP

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeoBookDB v2.3d, PKG and Internal FTP

Postby NyperCro » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello ppl :)

I got few questions in various themes to ask since you're best for that and i apologize in advance if my english is grammar incorecctly :wink:
Reason i ask all in one is not to spamm few themes (but i will if i need to)

Is it possible (and how) to read/write data to a .dbf file when ActiveX PKG is used, when files are not stored localy, instead they are sitting of some remote folder ?

How (if can) use InternetPut to write data in plain txt file located remotely ?

Is there any way to do FTP stuff (uploading files if Question 2 is not possible) Internally without using outsite software like Windows FTP or similiar ?

4. (addition to Q3)
Can someone explain me in details how to use plug in "rlFtp4w" to upload file without user interaction (selecting ftp site,password, files) ?
I tryed like is explained in Help file in mentioned PlugIn but no luck. If there is better way or plugin to do it, please let me know.

I hope you can help me with any of problems i have, all help is more then welcomed :)
Thank You all :)

If you dont understand me good also let me know im gonna try to explain better

-edit
I figured out InternetGet :)
NyperCro

Re: NeoBookDB v2.3d, PKG and Internal FTP

Postby dpayer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 am

NyperCro wrote:Hello ppl :)
Is it possible (and how) to read/write data to a .dbf file when ActiveX PKG is used, when files are not stored localy, instead they are sitting of some remote folder ?

How (if can) use InternetPut to write data in plain txt file located remotely ?

Is there any way to do FTP stuff (uploading files if Question 2 is not possible) Internally without using outsite software like Windows FTP or similiar ?

#1 - important to differentiate between a "remote folder" that is still on the local network and a "remote folder" on another network - ie on the internet. You cannot open a file for reading/writing on a remote network somewhere on the Internet as you can a local file. Yes, Windows can map a remote drive on a server that is on the same network/domain and treat it as local. This is common in a windows networking environment. But if you hope to open a dbf file store on a linux server somewhere on the internet that only has a HTTP and FTP server giving you access to that file, you will not be able to access that resource except via HTTP and FTP. If you can code a PHP or ASP/ASPX file to interact with the remote file you could then use HTTP / PHP to get file info. But you would not be able to open that file for reading / writing using native NB commands.

#2 Internet 'Put' relies on 'putting' the information via HTTP. You must have an application on that server to receive the data. This is where you need a PHP / ASP / ASPX application you point the data to. (ASP &ASPX are available only on Windows servers - PHP is available on Windows or Linux servers).

#3 Neosoftware has a well supported plugin for FTP transfers. It is not a free plugin but if you require a quality job, I would use quality tools. If this is more of a hobby project, you can use the command line version of FTP built into windows to move files. You can see all the properties of this command line program by typing: ftp /? at a command propt. There is a way to create a batch file the FTP program uses to transfer files and you could create that batch file within your NB program.

Good luck with your project! Let us all know what worked out for you.

David P.
dpayer

Postby NyperCro » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 am

Thank you for reply:)
So #1 is "no go"
i could then access and modify dbf localy and upon exiting do a automatic upload and delete localy then.

Reason i ask is that i want my file to be accessed anywhere and so selected people could also do that, but with Windows FTP and creating batch file is slighty risk since in there you must put your username and password since you cant do upload directly from command line (requires .bat file)

I thought using Neobook FTP plugin, can i with it do ftp commands without user interaction ?

My idea is like this :

User (or me) adds/modifys certan data in dbf and upon exit i need that file on remote folder so it can be accessed with new data for another person, thats why i need some form of non-interactive ftp upload/download.
But...why if (and please explain me how heh) there is 2 users accessing same thing at once ? Can it be done ? Can two persons use same thing without data corruption (i probably want a miracle i know) ? Or i could simply (like i thought in first) divide files (dbf) by users and then manualy (i guess dbfExport/Import could be best solution) put data together in lets call it main dbf ?
I started doing that by using [HDSerialNum] to identify users (since that is unique for every pc i thought that is best way)

I probably written here load meaningless data, but hey, im not in english language area :D
NyperCro

Postby dpayer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:22 pm

NyperCro wrote:My idea is like this :
Can two persons use same thing without data corruption (i probably want a miracle i know) ? Or i could simply (like i thought in first) divide files (dbf) by users and then manualy (i guess dbfExport/Import could be best solution) put data together in lets call it main dbf ?

I probably written here load meaningless data, but hey, im not in english language area :D

If you have data that needs to be available to others, why not consider an online database like MySQL. You can get very cheap monthly 'rent' on a website that will include MySQL. People could put in or take out data in a couple different ways.
1) Neobook and a data plugin from Neosoft would allow people to have access to certain tables on that server.
2) Use php to push data from a form into the database.
3) Use a free system like Joomla to create the website. There are (free) plugins for Joomla which allow forms to be created so you can put specific data into a table. You could sort based on their login ID. You could also frame this site inside your NB app using a WebBrowser object.

I think it is a problem to have many people try to use a static database that is uploaded and downloaded from a website. This is what online databases were created for. You can have many users at once. BTW even the website "Twitter" uses MySQL!

David P.
dpayer

Return to PlugIn Discussions