Source language: Translate to:

Anyone fancy doing a plugin for this?

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Anyone fancy doing a plugin for this?

Postby andybrock » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:55 am

I've done a few projects where I've used the command line curl program and shelled to it to snag data from sites, etc.

I notice there is a pascal/delphi class for this that is freely distributable and wondered if any intrepid plugin writers would consider doing a neobook plugin so we could access curl directly from within our pubs?

Heres the link to the pascal class: http://curlpas.sourceforge.net/curlpas/index.html

Looking through the forum this sort of thing has been asked about before so there could be a market for it.

Andy
andybrock

Postby dec » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Andy,

In my opinion the project appear to old. But not only this. In fact, if you want to work with HTTP, HTTPS, FTPS, SSL, TLS, GOPHER, TELNET,... other components can help and are well maintained, for example the Indy library, wich is included Delphi natively. Of course I not say that CURL is obsolete or anything else. Just that other possibilities exists instead CurlPas.

But... it is not easy to develop a plugin that provide, for example, a complete support for the HTTP protocol. So many possibilities, options, configurations, problems... I thinking on this sometimes and finally get not the expected results. But I'm very happy if finally I can doing something with this. A more or less complete HTTP plugin... can be a good thing.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby andybrock » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 am

Doesn't have to be curl, just would be good to achieve the sorts of things curl does without having to use an external exe file and run it from the command line.

The indy stuff looks like it achieves the same sort of things.

Andy
andybrock

Postby dec » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Andy,

In fact, Indy can work with the most important internet protocols, both client and server side. Other components can be useful too, for example, I just play now with the ICS Componentes Suite by François Piette. But I think something like CURL is to large to implement on a plugin. I think a plugin can implement the HTTP protocol like a client, for example.

Other plugin implement the HTTP protocol like a server, and so on with the others protocols. Of course this is my opinion. And want to say other thing: I dont thing is wrong to use command line or others executable tools. Why not? Why reivent the wheel? And thing on this, most times you need to download a file, and for this a complete HTTP client is to much.
dec

Postby dpayer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 am

dec wrote:Hi Andy,

Other plugin implement the HTTP protocol like a server, and so on with the others protocols. Of course this is my opinion. And want to say other thing: I dont thing is wrong to use command line or others executable tools. Why not? Why reivent the wheel? And thing on this, most times you need to download a file, and for this a complete HTTP client is to much.

You know, there are times when it would be nice to have a built in webserver type of function. Then you could use several standard javascript libraries to display and gather data. They all expect to work via http and do not work well, if at all, with a file:// protocol.

Here are some examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... frameworks

I could envision something like Ext library being an interface for NB. You have already constructed items like grids, forms, popups, menus all in a beautiful web format. Just need to attach the NB code. :)

David P.
dpayer

Postby dec » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:53 am

Hi,

But its not possible to use Javascript right now with the native NeoBook WebBrowser object? I just ask them. What the different you expect if using an HTTP server dpayer? I am sorry if this answer is so obvious but really I want to know. :wink:
dec

Postby dpayer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm

dec wrote:Hi,

But its not possible to use Javascript right now with the native NeoBook WebBrowser object? I just ask them. What the different you expect if using an HTTP server dpayer? I am sorry if this answer is so obvious but really I want to know. :wink:

Yes, you can use javascript now. But some javascript libraries are like components. They do alot, not just make a calculation or manipulate some text. They create forms for submitting values, they offer menuing, grids, they allow multi-window environment, and more. Take a look at the EXT js library.

http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/examples/

But they get much of their info via the http protocol, not by loading a script via file:\\ protocol and then executing it. You can do a bunch of things with XML using javascript but not without http.

David P.
dpayer

Postby dec » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi,

I understand dpayer.

Thanks for your answer.
dec

Postby Tony Kroos » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:53 am

would be really cool if anyone fancy would create some kind of ICQ client plugin )
Tony Kroos

Return to PlugIn Discussions