Source language: Translate to:

New npPasc NeoPlugin for Neobook

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

New npPasc NeoPlugin for Neobook

Postby dec » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi to all!

This plugin put on your publication a very complete Pascal language interpreter. You can use it (for example) to automate changes on your publications without need to recompile. The interpreter prebuild dozens of Classes, Functions, and more stuff.

Take a look at the interpreter prebuild stuff and get freeze. But not only you can use this complete prebuild stuff, also the Pascal source code can interact with NeoBook and viceversa. You can call NeoBook subroutines, get and set NeoBook variables and more.

The interpreter know a dialect of Pascal language and add some Delphi related stuff too. You can play with Pascal units "on the fly", can use variables, constants from others units or from your main unit. Finally, with a little of Pascal/Delphi knowledge now is possible to use this powerfull language and lot of their resources from your NeoBook publications.

You can download the npPasc from here.

Thank you!
Last edited by dec on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
57 plugins, 1113 actions and 230 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby HPW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Hello David,

What interpreter is used for this plugin?
The JVCL interpreter from the JEDI-Group?
Is there no sample pub?
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby dec » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Hans,

Yes, I use the amazing JvInterpreter by JVCL (you can see on plugin about dialog and the thirdparty help file apart).

When install the plugin, take a look at the Windows Start Menu, you can see a samples directory on the plugin folder.

P.S. I am specially happy with this plugin. ;)
dec

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:09 am

I think you might want to install your samples in a different location. On my PC, they show up in the AppData\Roaming folder which is a hidden folder and can't be accessed through the normal File > Open command.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby dec » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:20 am

Hi,

Since I use an installer assistant for my plugins, note that I cannot put the samples on the plugins installation folder (Program Files) because this directory cannot be write (on Windows Vista and above).

Making some research about this I found the "Roaming/AppData" directory as the folder to save this kind of things. This directory is writable by the user and so can play with the samples, make changes, compile, etc.

Its true that the folder maybe is in a "rare location", but in any case the installer assitant put a folder shortcut on the Windows Start Menu for every NeoPlugin installed. However, if you recomend other directory, I'm open to change. :)

Thanks in any case for your interest. :)
dec

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

I think AppData is for program data that users don't need to access. Normally, the AppData folder is hidden making it difficult for users to find and open files stored there. Microsoft has made this very confusing, but instead, I think sample files should be stored under the user's personal documents or the PC's common documents folder.

Here's a pretty good article about this topic:

http://forum.codecall.net/pascal-delphi-tutorials/33969-using-special-folders-comply-uac-enabled-windows-delphi-code.html
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby dec » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi,

Note that "AppData" used by NeoPlugins are into the user folder. However, you have reason, and I look into the User documents folders.

I think that a fodler shortcut can be sufficient, and because I never use "my user" folder... but in fact more than one user ask me about this question, so, finally I will try to put the samples under the user documents folder as you suggest: repeat you point me on the right way.

Thanks very much!
Last edited by dec on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dec

Postby dec » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi there!

Well. Microsoft can be confused on this things, but I can do more. Just to said that I updated all NeoPlugins with two enhancements:

1º The plugins samples are installed now on the users documents folder, the right place with no comments.

2º The plugins Start Menu folder root is now "NeoPlugins" instead of "David Esperalta". No comments too.

So thanks very much Dave for point me on the right direction!

P.S. I want to use this message to inform that npPasc plugin has some enhancements, new samples and a how to video, from they are announced. ;)
Last edited by dec on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dec

Postby Wrangler » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:47 am

Why not give the user the choice of where to install the plugin files and the sample files? All my plugins are located in the Plugins subfolder under my neobook installation. Each plugin has it's own subfolder and the sample files a subfolder under that. This keeps everything in one place, instead of roaming all over my hard drives to find them.

Just my 2 cents.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby dec » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:02 am

Hi Wrangler,

In fact it's possible to choose the location in wich you want to install the plugins. The install assistant let you this possibility. Not for the plugins samples, however.

Maybe it's a possibility to let the user the oportunity to choose the plugins samples folder too. I need to intestigate it with InnoSetup. But for now I think the problem is solved, because now the NeoPlugins samples is not placed onto "hiden" dirs or elsewhere, but just on the user folders: aside with others programs samples, like NeoBook too.

P.S. The problem to choose the right folder is a "privileged" problem. So, if you place your samples just on "Program Files", a normal user (not admin) cannot write theses samples, and the samples has doing to be play with them, and if you cannot write on, the samples loss their sense. But I repeat, the user documents folder is the right folder to place the samples: avoid the "privileges" problem, and allow the user to find it quickly, when refuse to use (or simply unknow) the samples shortcut places on the Windows Start Menu.
dec

Postby Wrangler » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:31 am

I understand the problems with putting ANYTHING in the program files folder. To make it worse, the 64bit versions use the program files (x86) folder as well.

I advise the users of my shareware programs to install off the root directory. Some of my programs have problems retaining unlock codes, and in some cases won't run correctly when installed in either of the program files folders. In a few cases, the program would hang when clicking Continue Trial and using Armadillo to secure the program. In Vista and win7, these folders are virtual, causing problems from the start.

When it comes to utilities for neobook, such as plugins, I like to have a choice. I think most of us who program in neobook know enough where to install files so they work correctly. I've NEVER had a problem when running any files under the Neobook installation folder. In fact, my neobook installation folder is over 20gb in size because I put everything neobook related there so I can find them when needed. When the neosoft plugins ask me where to install samples, I choose the Neobook\plugins\ folder and they work flawlessly. It seems redundant to install the sample files anywhere else.

I think this is all overly complicated. Give us the choice, and let the cards fall where they may. When it comes to end users of neobook programming, you need to hold their hand a little more and guide them. Making folder suggestions during installation helps.

Innosetup is a great program capable of just about anything you can think of if you poke around a little and figger out how to do it.

Just my thoughts on it.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby dec » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:08 am

Hi Wrangler,

NeoBook 5 I installed recently (because my fault) put the samples onto my user documents folder. You need to thing on this: not everybody expect the same things that we expected.

For example, I dont use the user documents folder in the first time, because I dont use my documents folder. But many people use it! And I just forget. Every folder in Windows have a sense, and we, as developers, not force this or change the behaviour, only on we computers to their own use.

For the other hand, maybe its a good idea to let the user to choose the samples folder and I will investigate this. :)
dec

Great Work !!!

Postby chromebandit » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Great Work !!!

JVCL interpreter licence needs 2b checked before including parts into your work its running under BSD GPL Mozilla....

only if you care

Regards
chromebandit

Postby dec » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi,

JVCL interpreter licence needs 2b checked before including parts into your work its running under BSD GPL Mozilla....

Sorry, I cant understand very well what you talking about. Can you explain me please?

Just for your information npPasc plugin use the JvInterpreter component included on JEDI Visual Component Library under an MPL license.

Thanks!
dec

Postby chromebandit » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:37 pm

MPL licence is good. Code licensed under MPL can be copied and modified, and if it's redistributed, it must be redistributed under the MPL.

You can also mix MPL code with proprietary code to form a single executable. But - the MPL is for example not compatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL).

You can't combine MPL code and GPL code in the same binary, unless the MPL code is also licensed under the GPL.

May its not so a big restriction for others but for me it is.

Regards
chromebandit

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions