Source language: Translate to:

Neobook PDF Viewer Issues

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neobook PDF Viewer Issues

Postby Pat Baner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Hello all,

Hope everyone is well. I am having some issues with the pdf viewer and hoping to get some help.

First issue: it will not open pdf files on my computer. I have to embedded the pdf file.

Second issue: the Neobook PDF plugin not allow web links to open when they are clicked.

Anyone else having these issues?
Pat Baner

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 am

We haven't had any similar reports from other customers, so I'm not sure exactly what to suggest. The plug-in relies entirely on the Acrobat Reader ActiveX control to open and view PDF files. It may be that Acrobat Reader isn't installed properly or security measures are prohibiting it from working correctly. You can try downloading and re-installing Acrobat Reader from Adobe's website.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Pat Baner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Ok, so I reinstalled Adobe reader with no luck. Everytime I try to cause a pdf file to open that is directly linked to the files location on the computer vice [Embedded] causes the test publication to fail and need to close.

Now that I reinstalled Adobe reader, the plugin won't even open an embedded pdf file. When I click on the pdf locally, it opens just fine. I tried reinstalling the neobook pdf plugin again but have the same issue.
Pat Baner

Postby Pat Baner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Ok. Got the pdfs to open finally but only if the "embedded" code is used. Links still fail to open if openned inside neobook. They work if I open the pdf locally outside of neobook.

any ideas?
Pat Baner

Postby HPW » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Maybe you should show a piece of code how you open the PDF.
Otherwise it is hard to guess what's maybe wrong.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Pat Baner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 am

Ok.

This doesn't work:

pdfOpen "C:\Users\Main\Desktop\Free Classified Products Website\Credit Expert Pro\Credit Expert Pro.pdf" "Rectangle_Host"
GotoPage "Credit Expert Pro"

This does:

pdfOpen "[Embedded]Credit Expert Pro.pdf" "Rectangle_Host"
GotoPage "Credit Expert Pro"

It is the exact same file. URLs don't work still when pushed inside Neobook. Rectangle host is the rectangle I assign as the host. It is on a seperate page, which is the one I send it to after opening the pdf. This code is in a button so it executes when the button is pushed.
Pat Baner

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 am

When compiling an exe, NeoBook localizes the names of external files (like PDF) used within a publication. Localizing means that the drive and path are removed which is probably causing the problem. In many cases this is actually helpful when publications are distributed across multiple computers with different hard drive layouts. However, if you need to load a file from a specific folder, you can instruct NeoBook to leave the drive and path information intact by placing an exclamation point character ( ! ) at the beginning of the file name. For example:

pdfOpen "!C:\Users\Main\Desktop\Free Classified Products Website\Credit Expert Pro\Credit Expert Pro.pdf" "Rectangle_Host"
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Pat Baner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Ok, that works. I have never had to do that before now though. Its odd.

The only thing left is the links still fail to open when clicked. The source document works fine, but not in Neobook. If you "mouse over" the link, it shows the webaddress but nothing happens if you click it.

Any ideas?
Pat Baner

Postby HPW » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:52 am

I tested it with a PDF with a weblink to a local HTML-file.
From the standalone reader it open a security dialog and ask for permission and then the browser show the HTML.
From neobook it shows the adobe security dialog and also ask for permission but than it does nothing.

Seems to be a problem of the adobe ActiveX.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:40 am

Seems to be a problem of the adobe ActiveX.

That's entirely possible. The ActiveX does have a few bugs.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to PlugIn Discussions