Source language: Translate to:

NeobookDX - Issues

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeobookDX - Issues

Postby smartmedia » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:06 am

Hi..

I started long time a go to build a Radio application but for some reasons i stop it. Now i started again and i have some issues to discuss.

1) Right now you can add a marker only before the media starts playing. Is possible to be able to add a marker after a media starts..???

2) If you set a marker and start playing the media when he go to that point and fire the sub he can't fire again the marker if you rewind the media. So is possible to add an option in the marker to be repeatable...???

3) When i change the Rate of a media, a glitch is heard, this is very annoying and you can't do it if the media is playing because you hear it. Can this be fixed...???

4) Using dxPlaySoundFile to play a media some times it starts playing eating some milliseconds from the start. Can you verify this...??? Check the demo exe. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8766047/test.exe
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:41 am

1) Right now you can add a marker only before the media starts playing. Is possible to be able to add a marker after a media starts..???

2) If you set a marker and start playing the media when he go to that point and fire the sub he can't fire again the marker if you rewind the media. So is possible to add an option in the marker to be repeatable...???

I can't think of any technical reason why this couldn't be included to a future version. However, an update to NeoBookDX is under consideration but not currently scheduled.

3) When i change the Rate of a media, a glitch is heard, this is very annoying and you can't do it if the media is playing because you hear it. Can this be fixed...???

Windows handles the actual playing of the media. DX just passes the command along to Windows which performs the rate change. I think the only way to avoid the "glitch" would be to mute the audio during the change which might be worse.

4) Using dxPlaySoundFile to play a media some times it starts playing eating some milliseconds from the start. Can you verify this...??? Check the demo exe. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8766047/test.exe

Can you provide a sample pub and audio file instead of an exe?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:30 am

Hi..

Dave, this is the link for the demo pub. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8766047/DX_demo.rar
Windows handles the actual playing of the media. DX just passes the command along to Windows which performs the rate change. I think the only way to avoid the "glitch" would be to mute the audio during the change which might be worse.

This doesn't serve any purpose, the subject is to be able to change it without mutes or glitches. This is one of basics function on a Radio application.

In order to read and write ID3 tags on mp3's i use Racid3V2Tag plugin. The problem is that if i open a media with dxOpenFile i can't write any information with Racid3V2Tag. Obviously NeobookDX use exclusive access on the file and doesn't let other to use the file. Can this change...??

That's all for now.
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks for the demo pub. I tried starting and stopping the audio file repeatedly, but each time it always started playing from the beginning of the file. The problem could be related to the mp3 codec installed on your PC or your PC's memory, processor speed or sound card. Updating the codec or Windows Media Player might help.

This doesn't serve any purpose, the subject is to be able to change it without mutes or glitches. This is one of basics function on a Radio application.

In NeoBookDX setting the rate is essentially a single line of code - SetRate( Value ) - which tells Windows' DirectX interface to alter the playback speed.

In order to read and write ID3 tags on mp3's i use Racid3V2Tag plugin. The problem is that if i open a media with dxOpenFile i can't write any information with Racid3V2Tag. Obviously NeobookDX use exclusive access on the file and doesn't let other to use the file. Can this change...??

DirectX handles the opening of the file, so we don't have control over the access rights used. Most media files are too large to load into memory, so the file remains open during playback allowing DirectX to buffer a portion of the file into memory as needed. Modifying the tags could potentially change the position of the audio data within the file and mess up playback. DirectX locks the file to prevent this.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 am

Hi..

Those are the errors i have recorded during continues play.
In a part of the application i use dxFadeAndStop and then dxCloseFile. If i don't put a Delay command between those 2 commands i get the error below, repeatably till the app crash.
My memory in my system is DDR-3 at 1333Mhz in dual channel mode. There is a possibility this errors being generated from the fact that my memory is used in dual channel...???
smartmedia

Postby smartmedia » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

Hi..

In my app i use dxPlayFromTo to play the media when is set in Auto mode. In order to accomplish the mix between to media i use 2 Players. Player1 and Player2.
So, when i hit play i go in a subroutine and use dxPlayFromTo to start playing. I also add a marker near before the end point of dxPlayFromTo and set to go in the subroutine that starts the second player to run. Now, where is my problem. For some reasons i don't know, some times the marker i added is not fire so is not going to the subroutine to play the next media. This point is critical because it stops totally. So i need to know that the next media will start play no matter what.
So i have a suggestion to make:
Is possible to add 2 options in dxPlayFromTo command.?
The first option will be, what subroutine to call when rich the end point.
The second option will be, the time in milliseconds before call the subroutine in first option.
For example i use this:
Code: Select all
dxPlayFromTo "[Player1]" "00:00:00:000" "00:02:30:000" "HMS" "1"

So if the 2 options is added will be like this
Code: Select all
dxPlayFromTo "[Player1]" "00:00:00:000" "00:02:30:000" "Subroutine" "Time In Milliseconds Before rich the 00:02:30:000" "HMS" "1"

If this can happen i can fire a subroutine, before 1 second for example and play the next media mixed with the first one. And also i be sure that next media will play.

I know also, there is a option to use dxCreate "" "[Player1]" "Subroutine"
This produce a series of other problems in programming other situations.
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 am

Can you send me a sample pub and sound files that I can use to reproduce what you're doing?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 am

Hi..

Dave, i will send you by mail my project.
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:37 am

Got it. Thank you.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:22 am

Hi..

Again i discover something and i wonder why is happening. I open a mp3 and LengthHMS is 00:06:28:887. But when it rich in 06:22 it stops. I didn't add any marker. I double test it and it stops in the same position always.
Question: There is possibility NeobookDX to read false time from the file..???
Also tried to read the file info from RACID3V2Tag plugin. That gives me 254,0 seconds = 04:14 Also Windows Media player gives 04:14. After that i am not sure what to believe. That result makes me think that some how the info inside the file are corrupted. So, how i will now for sure what is the true duration of the file...??? This is critical in the app i am working on because as i told you in order to play the next media i use a marker a sec before the end of the media. Now if the duration is false the marker will not run and the mixing and the continues of the play will stop. Any ideas...???

PS. I started to play the mp3 at the same time from Windows Media player and my app and both stoped playback at 4:14.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8766047/Nelly%20ft%20TimMcGraw%20-%20Over%20and%20Over.mp3
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 am

...There is possibility NeobookDX to read false time from the file..???

It's possible. There are different time formats. I'll download your sample file and take a look at it.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby froxfieldrover » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:42 am

Interesting points in this thread - at least this thread has brought to my attention a couple of issues I would find a little hard to live with too in the plugin.
It overall looks excellent but I agree it would be good to be able to set markers as it is playing a file and repeat fire the marker.
Is it possible to give some idea as to when that might be added as functionality?

Many thanks

Patrick
froxfieldrover

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:12 am

It overall looks excellent but I agree it would be good to be able to set markers as it is playing a file and repeat fire the marker.

These changes wouldn't be terribly difficult, but can you give me an example of how they would be useful within the context of an application?

Is it possible to give some idea as to when that might be added as functionality?

I don't expect that we will have time to revisit NeoBookDX until next year.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby froxfieldrover » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:45 am

Well, I would like to be able to take a video or sound file and be able to pause a recording and then carry on playing and keep track of where the user did the pause and be able to resume from the previously paused position. Plus I would like an on the fly A-B control like you see on some MP3 players.
Or simply to set up a prior series of segments form a single recording to play A-B using different buttons to position then refresh that position easily - i.e. hop from segment to segment and not lose position. if it can do all that I would be happy. Does that make sense?

I just want to be able to preset multiple A-B segments and access each segment seamlessly and be able to reset the segment that it started from without reloading the whole file - it's for a language learning type application.

Patrick
froxfieldrover

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions