Source language: Translate to:

Billenium Transitions for NeoBook new version 2.0

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Billenium Transitions for NeoBook new version 2.0

Postby BilleniumSoft » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:42 am

We have just released a new version of Billenium Transitions for NeoBook.

You can download a fully featured trial version at

http://www.billeniumsoft.com/btn/files/btn20t.exe

If you prefer not to install the Plug-in you can download just a demo executable at

http://www.billeniumsoft.com/btn/files/btndemo.exe

What's new in version 2.0?:

1. New Page transition
2. New Pixelate transition
3. New Blur transition
4. New SmoothBand property in the Wipe transition
5. New MaskMode (Stretch, Tile or Zoom) property in the Bitmap mask transition
6. Added a random direction setting for transitions
7. Added a 7th smoothing level in circle, diagonal, interlaced and radial transitions
8. Much faster roll transition
9. Improved transitions editor: asynchronous preview and optional autopreview
10. New btnReverseNext action instructs the next transition to execute in reversed mode
11. New btnEnableAutoReverse action automatically reverses the transition direction (where available) when navigating to a previous page (NeoBook v5.0.4 and above)
12. New btnDisableAutoReverse action does not automatically reverse the transition direction when navigating to a previous page (NeoBook v5.0.4 and above)
13. New human readable storing format: allows you to easily configure your transition settings though scripting. For example: ShowObject "MyPicture" "Billenium" "Transition=Page;Direction=Down;Milliseconds=1000"
14. Compatibility with Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature of Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003

Caution! If you open a publication with transitions created with version 1 of Billenium Transitions they may be converted to the new format of this version. Please make a copy of your publication if you want to be able to open it with version 1 of the PlugIn again. Another option is not to save the publication so the transitions keep their original format.

All customers of version 1 should have received an email containing upgrading information. If you didn't get it please contact me at support@billeniumsoft.com
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
http://www.billeniumsoft.com
BilleniumSoft

Postby Gaev » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:05 am

Francisco Sanchez:
13. New human readable storing format: allows you to easily configure your transition settings though scripting. For example: ShowObject "MyPicture" "Billenium" "Transition=Page;Direction=Down;Milliseconds=1000"

Earlier this week Luis gave NeoBook developers the ability to perform Flash functions ... and now this from Fancisco :D ... looks like there really is a Santa Claus ... and he sent his elves to NeoBook Developica a little early this year.

Thanks ... I'll check out this long awaited functionality.
Gaev

Postby remlap » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:30 am

All customers of version 1 should have received an email containing upgrading information. If you didn't get it please contact me at support@billeniumsoft.com

Did not receive upgrade info so emailed as suggested and heard nothing. What a surprise! I won't be purchasing again as there is insufficient new features to warrant a full new registration; I'll stick to version 1.0

Cheers
remlap

Postby HPW » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:07 am

What a surprise! I won't be purchasing again as there is insufficient new features to warrant a full new registration

Don't get what you mean with 'a surprise'?
As a registered user you can upgrade for US$37.
For me it has sufficient new features like the new transitions and the scriptable parameter format.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Gaev » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:28 am

For me v1.0 was a product with great potential that was (severely) limited by the lack of human readable storing format ... without such a limitation, v2.0 allows me to realize its full potential ... e.g. screensavers and photo albums (to name 2) applications where users can be offered the ability to customize transition effects ... not just be stuck with my (artistically challenged) choices.
Gaev

Postby BilleniumSoft » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:00 am

Hi remlap,

I received your email and immediately answered it. Your mail server accepted it and so far no error has been reported from it, so I assume it arrived at your inbox. You most probably have antispam filters which are classifying my emails as spam. These filters may be running at your mail server or at your email client, for example. Usually these filtered emails are kept in an special folder from which you can recover them by hand.

I can't give you the upgrading information in this forum because it contains confidential data.
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
BilleniumSoft

Postby remlap » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:00 am

Thanks for replying. Apart from one or two developers, it is becoming increasingly difficult to contact a plugin author. So your reply makes a refreshing change.

Yes, like most people I have spam filtering employed and detected spam is auto-deleted. For this to happen to your emails, your server will have been added to some seriously powerful anti-spam lists and you should consider alternative email arrangements.

HPW:

Don't get what you mean with 'a surprise'?

I didn't receive any information or an upgrade to version 1.1 either. So my expectations of an upgrade to version 2.0 were low to start with.

For me it has sufficient new features like the new transitions and the scriptable parameter format.

Good for you! As for me, the Page Turning effects in http://www.page-flip.com/object.htm are far superior to Billenium.

I admit, the scriptable parameter format would be nice, but it's not worth $37, not to me anyway.
remlap

Postby HPW » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:13 am

As for me, the Page Turning effects in http://www.page-flip.com/object.htm are far superior to Billenium.

I agree. But it is Flash only.
I have discussed such a effekt with Francisco in the past.
Since he is in a competitor position (also for delphi,Authorware,Director) he might be able to add it in the future. (Wait for his comment)

So we can support him now and ask for more.

Just my 2 cents(euro)
;-)
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby remlap » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:46 am

HPW:

Alberto too, I think did some work on developing a page flipper. I never got to see an example unfortunately.

I'm all for supporting plugin developers...my plugin directory is stuffed with many plugins I'll never find a use for; but purchased for no other reason other than to support the developer.

For me the primary feature in this upgrade is the scriptable parameter format. But then I think this is a feature which should have been in place since version 1.0 and the fact that it wasn't, for me anyway, always smacked of over-zealous control freakary on Billenium's part. So I'm a little disappointed by the $37 price tag for this upgrade.

Cheers

Cheers
remlap

Postby BilleniumSoft » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi,
Yes, like most people I have spam filtering employed and detected spam is auto-deleted. For this to happen to your emails, your server will have been added to some seriously powerful anti-spam lists and you should consider alternative email arrangements.

I have my own mail server and would be surprised if it is black-listed as I only mail to my customers through it (those who didn't refuse to be notified). It could be that the emails were tagged as spam by some token analysis algorithm. They contain words like 'ordering' which could be taken as spam.

Good for you! As for me, the Page Turning effects in http://www.page-flip.com/object.htm are far superior to Billenium.

To be fair you may only compare both products in equal conditions. That flash object only acts as a transition when you click to fully flip the page at once. I bet you are asking for the mouse interaction and that's not possible in a transition PlugIn because they don't support user input. I honestly like that product, but:
  1. It is not a transitions PlugIn for NeoBook.
  2. Only implements one effect (Billenium provides 17).
  3. You can't fully control the timing. Just ask it to run faster or slower, but the final result will depend on the computer speed. With Billenium you set the milliseconds. This single feature is one of the most complex to achieve and a must have in my opinion (if you don't want your effects to take 10 seconds on an old machine and 100 milliseconds on a new computer by 2010.
For me the primary feature in this upgrade is the scriptable parameter format. But then I think this is a feature which should have been in place since version 1.0 and the fact that it wasn't, for me anyway, always smacked of over-zealous control freakary on Billenium's part.

The binary store format in version 1 was not documented because I didn't have its specifications. I mean, an object persistence method was being used by me and the result was that binary output. I was able to read and write it by using the API, but the format was not intended to be 'understandable'.

About why it wasn't added in version 1, there are always things to improve for any product, no matter how good it is. Some customers asked for this feature and I finally added it... for a price. We are not talking about a bug, so what's wrong with that.

So I'm a little disappointed by the $37 price tag for this upgrade.

Version 1 was a bad investment for me, and version 2 should not follow the same path. I usually apply a %50 discount for upgrades, but this product has not been profitable so I can't afford such a big discount. There is a lot of work in this product, as an example the page transition took around 200 hours of coding (I throwed away 2 algorithms because they were not good enough until I got a nice and fast effect).

Of course, I'm not asking anyone to buy the product if they don't need it, but I don't think the $37 price should be the issue.
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
BilleniumSoft

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:09 pm

We've also had difficulty contacting certain customers by email. We have not been added to any email black list sites, yet there have been several instances where we simply cannot contact customers by email even from multiple accounts. Unfortunately, we can no longer assume that email is a 100% reliable form of communication.

Francisco: We really appreciate your efforts to create Billenium Transitions 2.0! You've done a great job and hopefully you will be rewarded for your hard work.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Gaev » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:25 pm

My ISP does a pretty good job of limiting spam ... only 1 or 2 a week get through ... and I have never had an email from anyone in the NeoBook sphere not delivered due to some anti-spam algorithms ... and my ISP has over 2 million subscribers ... so if NeoSoftware and others are on some black list, that list is not widely deployed ... perhaps the content matches "search words" used by the overly trigger-happy ones.

Having said that ... one suggestion might be to follow up the first round of emails with another round ... with just a short message that asks clients to email them if they did not receive the first one ... perhaps careful slection of words in the second message might ensure they don't match any filter-algorithms.

As for Billenium v2 ... I held off purchase of v1 since it did not have the "human readable format" I had wanted/asked ... having this in v2 makes it a very desirable product ... I guess better late than never ... thank you for adding this facility.

I will download it as soon as my current workload (juggling 4 projects) lightens up ... thanks
Gaev

Return to PlugIn Discussions