Source language: Translate to:

rtFontAntiAlias_ON

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

rtFontAntiAlias_ON

Postby smartmedia » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:44 am

Hi...

I use the rtFontAntiAlias_ON of Ronnie plugin rtFileSystemMgt to show the text better. When the application start is working, after minimize the window and reopen it the alias is gone... Is NB bug or Plugin problem...???

I wonder if is possible that function to embedded in NB in next version...

Thanks
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:25 pm

I don't think that this has anything to do with NeoBook. It could be the plug-in or the version of Windows you're using.

Normally most people will have the Windows font smoothing feature turned on already because it makes text look much better. So it normally shouldn't be necessary for programmers to worry about this.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi...

One picture, thousand words...

Thanks
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:13 am

Two pictures, two thousand words:

I'm not using rtFileSystemMgt or rtFontAntiAlias at all.

Screen capture when pub first runs:

Screen capture after minimizing and restoring pub window:

What happens if you don't use rtFontAntiAlias?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi...

This photo is without rtFontAntiAlias and with Clear Type enabled...

What more can i say...
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:40 pm

Some more information would be helpful.

What kind of objects are you using - Simple Text, Push Buttons, etc.?

Does it make any difference if you change the font or the fill attributes of the objects?

Does the text in other publications (such as the samples included with NeoBook) look OK?

What version of Windows are you using?

Can you provide a sample pub?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Wrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:15 am

I tried rtfontantialias. In the first place, ANTI alias means it is NOT smoothing the fonts. ALIAS means it is. So using rtfontantialias_ON will turn OFF Clear Type.

After I turned it on, the fonts aren't smooth. But, when turning it off, it doesn't turn the clear type back on. I am typing this without smooth fonts, and I can't access the Effects screen to turn Clear Type back on. :(

Try turning Clear Type back on in Windows (unless you can't access it like me. Can't explain that one). Hopefully your fonts will be smooth again. Then don't mess with it until you contact Ronnie.

It appears the plug is turning it off OK, but won't turn it back on. The minimizing part is because it requires a screen redraw to make the change show. You'll have to contact Ronnie about that one.

Now, I've got to figure out why I can't turn Clear Type back on.

Later: After using rtfontantialias_OFF, and running the pub, and then rebooting Windows, Clear Type is once again enabled. :)

Apparently the plugin is causing the problem.

I can't see why you would want to use this command. I know you used it thinking it would improve the font display, but you had that one backwards. Clear Type was developed originally for laptop screens, since they were the only computers that used LCD screens. Without it, the fonts look bad like in your picture. Now that LCD screens are prevelant, Clear Type on is almost essential. XP has it turned OFF by default, Vista turns it ON by default. This is a feature I would leave up to the user to decide to turn it on, or not.

According to MS:

If you install Windows XP yourself, by either upgrading an existing Windows installation or performing a fresh install, ClearType will be turned off by default. Computer manufacturers that pre-install Windows XP have the option of turning it on or off by default.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Return to PlugIn Discussions