Source language: Translate to:

Problem with DX1.1a

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Problem with DX1.1a

Postby rcallis » Wed May 02, 2007 12:32 pm

I have developed a training application where I use a "pause" & "resume" pushbutton to control a WMV video file. The code I use for both buttons is -

dxPause "[playercr1]"

This gives me a smoother resume of the video than if I use -

dxPlay "[playercr1]" "1"

for the "resume" function.

My problem is that when I "pause" the video, if i wait over 15 seconds to "resume" playback, the audio portion of the video wil resume playback but the video remains frozen. If I "resume" playback in less that 15 seconds then the video will resume playback normally.

The rectangle I use for video playback is part of a container that also includes 4 solid rectangles used as a border to cover the edges of the video rectangle (if that matters)

I appreciate anyones help to solve this problem.
Ron Callis
rcallis

Postby beno » Wed May 02, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi,

Does this happens with other videos? wmv?

Have you tested other video format? mpeg1?

I use NBDX very often and have no problems with it, try to test your publication with other video files and formats.

My cent,

beno
beno

Postby rcallis » Wed May 02, 2007 8:23 pm

Beno,

Thanks for the reply. I have been running tests all day and have come to the conclusion that my Video drivers have something to do with it. I am using an ATI All in Wonder card and if I delete the latest catalyst drivers and use the windows default driver, then the problem goes away. I can pause the video for an extended period and the video will resume normally. When I reinstall the ATI drivers then the problem is back. It just seems odd that even with the ATI drivers the video will resume normally as long as it is paused for less than 15 seconds. Any pause longer than 15 seconds, the video will freeze when I try to resume.

Ron Callis
rcallis

Postby Wrangler » Thu May 03, 2007 6:57 am

I have this problem when I minimize the pub while the video is running. It is also a wmv. When you maximize the pub, the audio runs, the video is frozen. However, I noticed that after a few seconds, the video will begin playing again.

I'm running nvidia gforce video card. I haven't tried to pause for more than 15 seconds. Will try and report.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Wrangler » Thu May 03, 2007 7:06 am

Just tested it, and it does resume playing after 15 seconds. But closing the pub while the video was running, gave me an access violation.

Here is the code for the pause/play button:

dxPauseMedia "All"
If "[pause]" "=" "Pause"
SetVar "[pause]" "Play"
else
SetVar "[pause]" "Pause"
endif
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu May 03, 2007 10:28 am

I am using an ATI All in Wonder card and if I delete the latest catalyst drivers and use the windows default driver, then the problem goes away.

That sounds like either a bug in your video card driver or a conflict between the video card and Windows. That's probably something that ATI will need to fix. Otherwise, try downloading and installing the latest version of Windows Media Player. These updates usually include new drivers, codecs, enhancements and bug fixes. NeoBookDX uses the same drivers and engine as Windows Media Player, so upgrades affect NeoBookDX.

Unfortunately, playing videos requires lots of CPU time. Many factors influence playback including size of the video, compression method (codec), format, video card/drivers, Windows version, Media Player version, CPU speed, etc. The larger and more compressed the video, the more work is required of the CPU. Generally, the faster the CPU the better it will be at playing videos.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Fri May 04, 2007 5:26 am

Hi...

Dave,

I have the following problem...
I scan specific folder for mp3's, when i found them i open them with this command:
Code: Select all
dxOpenFile "[Player1]" "[Mp3File]"

one by one with a loop... Now, i do that so i can take the Title, Artist, Album of the song and save them in a database. The problem is that in some songs i only take a part of it's name... For example the original title of song is:
04 Παπαηλίας Κυριάκος...Δεν αντέχω
and i get only this...
04 Παπαηλίας Κυριάκος...Δεν αν
This happens in several songs, do you have any idea why this happening...???

PS. I have double check the code and the limit character in style section of the TextEntry field...
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri May 04, 2007 10:55 am

At the end of most MP3 files is a block a data called an ID3 tag. This data commonly contains the Artist name, Song title, Year and Genre of the song. There are several types of ID3 tags. NeoBookDX currently supports ID3 v1 and v1.1 which look like this:

Song Title - 30 characters
Artist - 30 characters
Album - 30 characters
Year - 4 characters
Comment - 30 characters
Genre - 1 byte

The space reserved for the song title is limited to 30 characters which is why the title is being cut off at that position in your publication.

A more flexible ID3 format (ID3v2) is now being used by some programs. This format provides more space for the song title and other information, and may have been used to create some of your MP3 files. We can look into adding support for ID3v2 tags in a future version of NeoBookDX.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Fri May 04, 2007 11:36 am

Hi...

Thanks Dave...
smartmedia

Postby rcallis » Fri May 04, 2007 11:42 am

I have discovered a few things since my last post. Only WMV files are affected by the "pause" problem. I can play & pause AVI & MPG files in NB with no problem. Also the WMV problem appears to be specifically related to NB. I can play the same WMV file using MediaPlayer or Adobe Premiere Elements with no freeze after a long pause. It only happens using NB. If NB uses the same engine that Mediaplayer uses why doesn't the problem show in MediaPlayer?

Ron Callis
rcallis

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri May 04, 2007 3:46 pm

...If NB uses the same engine that Mediaplayer uses why doesn't the problem show in MediaPlayer?

Well, in theory, Media Player should exhibit the same problem. NeoBookDX does not include any of its own media playing functions, instead it uses something called DirectX which is part of Windows. When NeoBookDX plays a video or sound file it essentially passes the name of the file to DirectX which handles everything involved in the physical loading and playing of the file.

According to Microsoft, DirectX is the primary engine used by Windows Media Player. Now, does Media Player include functions not available to other DirectX users? That's certainly possible.

I tried playing several WMV files with NeoBookDX on several different PCs here and none seem to have problems pausing and resuming playback after 15+ seconds. Of course, it's astronomically unlikely that any of our PCs have the same exact hardware and software configuration as yours.

I am using an ATI All in Wonder card and if I delete the latest catalyst drivers and use the windows default driver, then the problem goes away.

NeoBookDX doesn't deal with anything at the driver level. The fact that removing the ATI driver solves the problem would seem to point to a conflict with the driver.

Unfortunately, it would be extremely difficult to try and modify NeoBookDX to resolve such a hardware specific problem like this without actually having the hardware in our hands for testing. My recommendation would be to use a different video format such as MPEG.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to PlugIn Discussions