Source language: Translate to:

Neobook DB Float Limit

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neobook DB Float Limit

Postby David » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:08 am

Have been using neobook to do some analysis based on imported data from other database systems at work. I have discovered that the Float category will only allow numbers <1000,000,000.00. It will allow you to enter the number but then knocks off the first digit. I can get over the problem by declaring the number as a string. But if I do that not only will the DBTOTAL commands not work (Not a problem) but the number formating in the table gets messed up (Right Format). Is there a way of either increasing the float size or formating the number within the table? Other variables are quite capable of handling bigger numbers and have been geeting over the problem by exporting into excell and then doing the totals through that. Incidentaly if you give the export file with a .CSV extension Excel will pick it up automatically without having to import first.
David

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:01 am

I think this is a limitation of the database engine used by NeoBookDB. Internally it looks like it can handle up to 18 digits, but there may be some other limitations. You probably will have to wait for the next generation database plug-in to get past this limitation.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby David » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:49 am

I Think you are quite correct, this was the limit of the DB4 format as I remember from the old clipper days. It would be nice if neobook would allow formating of text entry fields (left, centre, right) as it would make the visual appearance so much better.
David

Postby David » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Have got a solution "Thanks to David's Number Format plugin" Neobook will allow calculations to be executed on numbers entered into strings. David's plugin requires you to specify the length of the number to be formated. If the [Fill_Char] is left blank and the DB field is set to the same length it formats in the table and entry screens. The only problem than is if you need to do any calculations you need to strip out the milliards (treats it as a string) or have an additional field with the true number in it. Not very elligant but it works so who cares.
David

Return to PlugIn Discussions