Source language: Translate to:

DVD-video, VOB creation

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:49 am

I think it would be very difficult to create a plug-in or utility to convert a NeoBook publication to VOB/DVD format. NeoBook was designed to create Windows applications that require a Windows compatible PC in order to function. Set top DVD players are generally limited to displaying pictures and movies with some basic navigation tools. In order to make NeoBook applications compatible with VOB/DVD, it would be necessary to remove about 80-90% of NeoBook's functionality.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby dpayer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:50 am

Neosoft Support wrote:I think it would be very difficult to create a plug-in or utility to convert a NeoBook publication to VOB/DVD format. NeoBook was designed to create Windows applications that require a Windows compatible PC in order to function. Set top DVD players are generally limited to displaying pictures and movies with some basic navigation tools. In order to make NeoBook applications compatible with VOB/DVD, it would be necessary to remove about 80-90% of NeoBook's functionality.

You know, I have seen applications to make DVDs from various media files and burn them to disk. Within existing DVD functionality, you can create games or puzzles and have interaction. I think if this project were looked at from the viewpoint of how do you make menus on DVD formated disks and how do you respond to menu choices, that might provide some of the functionality that was asked for by the original question.

Having said that, I am sure there are COM / ActiveX components to do such things but there is no easy way to make them available directly on NB. There was a plugin to use ActiveX inside of NB but the developer no longer offers the product, it appears.

David P.
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:21 am

It's certainly possible that some elements of NeoBook publications could be exported to DVD/VOB format. A publication's general appearance and navigation could probably be exported without too much trouble, but there are many NeoBook features that simply have no DVD/VOB equivalent and would have to be discarded. During such a conversion, the compiler might be saying something like "sorry you can't do that on a DVD!" quite often. I suppose that wouldn't be too frustrating as long as the user knew in advance which features were DVD compatible and which were not.

This is definitely something we should think about, but exporting or compiling to DVD would probably need to be built directly into NeoBook. A plug-in or off-the-shelf ActiveX control might be capable of generating new DVD content, but it would not be able to convert a pub file, which was the original question.

I'm not sure that users wouldn't find a dedicated DVD creation program less frustrating than trying to wedge that capability into a program like NeoBook which was designed for a different purpose.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Wrangler » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:44 am

I agree with Dave. As much as we all would like Neobook to "do it all", there will be things that it can't do. The ability to create DVD menus, and export to vob format would be nice, and probably doable, but not at the top of my list. There are too many good programs out there that will do this.

One must also consider whether the time to implement something like this would be cost effective. The DVD vob format is not going to be around forever. In fact, it's archaeic and slow loading, and has been around since the inception of the DVD format. As new media with more storage is introduced, also will the format change to accomodate it. We are already into double sided 9gb media, HD DVD and blueray. My guess is, it will soon lead to faster loading, more interactivity, and higher resolution. And we're not talking decades here, but just a few years. This industry is moving forward rapidly. Incorporating these DVD features into NB would be a major commitment, just to keep up with the advances.

At the top of my list, I would like to see efforts directed toward something like integrating the Activex plugin into nb, which would open up a lot of possibilities, possibly including some DVD functions. One of Windows Vista strong points is handling media, whether video or audio. Possibly these could be integrated into NB using an activex control, or API. The development trail I would like to see followed is to let others create and maintain these tools, with NB as the toolbox to implement them.

Just had a little time to ramble. Please excuse my efforts. :?
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Return to PlugIn Discussions