Source language: Translate to:

NeoBookPDF Plugin

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NeoBookPDF Plugin

Postby eliaskho » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:15 pm

Hello,

Is it necessary to have Adobe Acrobat installed on the system in order to use NeoBookPDF Plugin? If so, what script command have to use to inform user that the Acrobat is not installed?

Thanks,
eliaskho

Postby Sam Cox » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:21 pm

The Adobe Acrobat Reader is required by the PDF plug-in. In the NeoBookPDF.hlp file, the explanation of the pdfVersion has a code example for determining the presence of Acrobat Reader.
Sam Cox

Postby Larryf » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 pm

I have a customer who claims Adobe Acrobat IS installed on his Windows 98 system. However, my Neobook application using NeobookPDF plug-in returns a version of "0". I created a small utiltity that doesn't do much, other than look for Adobe Acrobat Reader and return the version. On his system, it still returns a "0" (not found).

Any ideas?
Larry
NeoBook 5.5
Larryf

Postby Wrangler » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:18 am

Have them download the latest version of Acrobat Reader, install it and try again. Some may think it is installed, but someone else may have removed it, or they just forgot they never installed it. Even if they find the Adobe folder, it still doesn't mean it is "installed". By re-installing, they will know for sure.

Also, if it is installed on a network, make sure they have permission to access it.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Larryf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:26 am

I've already verified with them that Acrobat is installed. I supply .pdf files with my application. They can open the .pdf files outside of my Neobook application, but not inside my app using the PDF plugin.

Only one customer has reported this problem, and they are on Windows 98.
Larry
NeoBook 5.5
Larryf

Postby Wrangler » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:50 am

Hopefully they are running the Second Edition of Win98. The first edition is known to be plagued with problems.

Do they double click on the pdf file to open it, or do they open it from inside Acrobat Reader?

Do they have Acrobat installed, or just Acrobat Reader? What version?

If they double click the file to open it, it will tell that the extension is properly associated with Acrobat. If they open it from inside Acrobat, it could be that the .pdf extension isn't associated with Acrobat. PDF must be associated with the reader for it to work.

If everything else checks out, you'll have to look at the OS. Any version of Win98 can mean trouble. It was replaced by Win ME very quickly, which turned out to be just as bad. Are they having any other software problems? Have they defragmented the files lately, or run chkdsk to check for cross-linked or corrupted files?

If you're still stuck for an answer for them, recommend they upgrade their operating system. Tell them it's 8 years old, and things change over the years. I can't run XP for more than a year without re-installing it. Imagine what 8 years of win98 could create. :)

Note: Recommend a FULL install of XP, not the upgrade version. Upgrading will only pass on the troubles to the new OS.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Larryf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:08 pm

Wrangler,

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll work with them on it. In addition to their old Windows 98 system, I know they have it all working fine on a XP system.

The customer has been cool with the issue. He knows it's an outdated OS.
Larry
NeoBook 5.5
Larryf

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:12 pm

Do you know what version of Acrobat Reader is installed on the user's PC? I believe that really old versions of Acrobat (<v4.0) do not include the ocx control required by NeoBookPDF. If a newer version of Acrobat is installed then NeoBookPDF should work - even with Windows 98.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Larryf » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks again. I don't know what version of Acrobat is installed, but that might explain things. I wondered what method the plug-in uses to determine if Acrobat is installed. Something else to explore.
Larry
NeoBook 5.5
Larryf

Return to PlugIn Discussions