Source language: Translate to:

tmUDP ** New Plugin Available **

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

tmUDP ** New Plugin Available **

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:58 pm

tmUDP Plugin - Release. (formely tmSocks)

Name was changed to avoid network info.

Part of tmInternet Suite

Send/Receive data via UDP protocol. Common network applications that use UDP include Chats, online games, messengers. UDP imposes less network overhead than TCP and gives the programmer more freedom.
This plugin implements UDP protocol in a really easy way. The plugin can act as a client or a server and free the developer of decode UDP Packets. Coded to be as simple as possible to use.

www.techmediasoftware.com
TechMedia Software PlugIns
Plugins: www.techmediasoftware.com
Shareware: www.meyertools.com
Alberto_Meyer

Re: tmUDP ** New Plugin Available **

Postby dpayer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:48 am

Alberto_Meyer wrote:tmUDP Plugin - Release. (formely tmSocks)

Name was changed to avoid network info.

Part of tmInternet Suite

www.techmediasoftware.com

Wonderful.

Alberto, could you please define what constitutes the tmInternet Suite? The concept was begun nearly 2 years ago. Some of the original components were never fully developed/released. Some of the original ones were changed or split up into separate components. I believe some things that were originally there are no longer so. I know people have purchased licenses for this product that is yet to be released as a full "suite".

Could you post the full list of components for the "tmInternet Suite" please? Also, when do you anticipate it being available as a full suite for download?

Thanks.

David P.
dpayer

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:03 am

David, tmInternet Suite was conceveid to be:

1) tmHTMLHelper - Not available anymore.

Now: IEHelper (released) and tmWebBrowser (to be released). tmHTML Helper was splitted in this 2 plugins.

2) tmSocks - Never released before yesterday

Now: tmUDP (released)

3) tmPOP3 (released), tmMessageDialogs (Released) and tmSMTP (never released)

Now: tmEmail (to be released)

4) tmFTP (released). No changes.

That´s it.
Alberto_Meyer

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:14 am

Time frames ans schedules are a BIG BIG BIG problem for me. I always give unreliable dates, so I prefer to to state anymore. I have 2 custom developments that suffer with this a lot (Skype and TAPI), because the technoly requires to much internal configurations. I´m dealing with SIP now, wich is harder but more "clean" when interfacing.

tmWebBrowser, I think will be out very soon. After a long long long time building my framework and converting a lot of things, I have got my development cycle in regular terms again. I have moved ALL my plugin to a new framework. It´s a lot of code. Time is a problem. I have to share the development between diferent matters. I have even developed a software to help me on this :) I didin´t bought MS Project. :)

But I have some priorities: tmreports2 and tmprintsys3. But there´s a lot of things done here. I have, for example, a Explorer plugin that is really fast and was never released and a ACDsee type plugin for thumbnails. I found a lot of old plugins too, never released. I have to take care to not mix all this stuff. I´m coding Neobook stuff for, ate least, 5 years, so there´s many things here.

Sorry for the long text. :)
Alberto_Meyer

Postby datadon » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:39 pm

Al,

This is a great plugin! I've been doing something similar to this for a while now, but this makes it so much easier. Just one question/suggestion: Would it be possible to make it so a subroutine is called every time data is recieved?

Thanks 8)
datadon

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:25 am

Would it be possible to make it so a subroutine is called every time data is recieved?

We are talking about of milliseconds here. UDP is very fast protocol (that´s is why it is chosen for games).

This 4 variables are fired on receive data

[Rectangle.tmUDPLastMSG] - last message receveid
[Rectangle.tmUDPSourceAddress] - remote address of the last message receveid
[Rectangle.tmUDPSourcePort] - remote port of the last message receveid
[Rectangle.tmUDPStatus] - ON (plugin is active) NULL (plugin was not created)

I post it to let you fired you subroutine.

Example (inside a timer)

1) Check [Rectangle.tmUDPSourceAddress] If have a value, you received new data

2) Fire a sub call based on this value (you can call a subroutine based on source address,like, for example, populate a memo field with the message from this address

3) Clean this variable to let your time wait for another input

I can put an action inside the datain event of the plugin, but I think the speed will be not faster enough, other data can arrive in the time of it. Inside Neobook, you can even make a cache on data in (put all datain in a variable, and process them, while new data arrives). There´s a lot of possibilities.
Alberto_Meyer

Postby datadon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:10 am

Al

Any place we can go to find out what the UDP stuff is all about?

or the real name if not UDP.

Thanks
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:20 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

tmUDP simplifies the use: just assign an IP, port and send a message to another IP.

It´s basically a P-2-P commnucation.
Alberto_Meyer

Postby edunaway » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:36 am

What about security considerations? Listening on a port over the internet might attract undesirable "visitors."

Looks interesting, though.

-eric
edunaway

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 am

You ca crypt your message before send and decode on arrive. It is what every one who needs security uses.

PS: I don´t forget the encryption file plugin. I have a routine that´s is very very secure. :)
Alberto_Meyer

Postby edunaway » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:59 am

On the subject of transmitting data securely via UDP what do you suggest for dynamic encryption? For example, what if the client doesn't know the key? I am aware of PGP as a solution to this problem, ie using a public & private key, but I am unaware of a way to implement this in Neobook.

-eric
edunaway

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:12 pm

Well, to build an application with UDP, you have to have developed the application in both sides, so there´s no need to the client know the key. You encrypt with message, delivery, and you app, that client is using, decrypt it and show. I think I have coded a encryption routine some time ago and put in one of my plugins. I will search, but I can put a ecryption routine inside the tmUDP, to send crypted messages.
Alberto_Meyer

Postby edunaway » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 am

The only problem with hardcoding the encryption key into the app is this reduces the security significantly.

I will probably use alternate methods to negotiate the key on the fly and transmit them via email, web, etc.

-eric
edunaway

Postby rcohen » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:11 pm

Looks great Al. Tell me, is it possible to use this plugin somehow for VOip, or would that be another plugin ?

Also can it transfer binary data (file transfer) ?

Cheers

r
rcohen

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 am

No binary data on this plugin. It was built to make short messages and commands easy to do. VoiP demands a LOT, a LOT of other things, like encode/decode the data chunks, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Alberto_Meyer

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions