Source language: Translate to:

Tech-Media Plugin's with Bugs

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Tech-Media Plugin's with Bugs

Postby remlap » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:23 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a number of issues with bugs in many of Alberto's plugins which are extremely long-standing and in most cases renders them useless.

I know that Dave (Neosoftware) is not responsible for the products of third parties, but purely by the fact that they advertised and promoted on the Neosoftware site, gives them credibility.

Bugs aside, it is now some 2.5 years since I pre-ordered tmInternetSuite for $200. At the time, release was only days away. Some 912 days later I am still waiting.

But back to the plugin's that he has "finished", I have purchased the following plugin's and found them to contain bugs. Despite reporting the same on several occasions, over many months the bugs remain and their useage in limited to say the least.

So, for the newbie or those who may feel tempted to purchase the following plugins...DON'T. You will be wasting your money and your time.

tmIEhelpmer formally tmHTMLhelper
tmCalendar
tmScheduler

I dare say there will be others who can add to this list.

Commercial plugin development has virtually ground to a halt and while this is a complex issue, Al's bugged-up plugins and zero support can hardly help the matter.

Personally, I think Al should be given a timescale to fix the bugs and make good his commercial responsibilities, or face having his "promotion" removed from the site.

If I submit a program, free or not, to the likes of Snapfiles or Tucows and it doesn't work, they will, quite rightly, tell me to take a hike. Perhaps we can be afforded the same kind of quality control on this site when it comes to plugins, especially commercial ones.

I'd be interested to read other peoples views on this subject.
remlap

Postby rcohen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi Robert,

I do believe that there was some discussion about the removal of his links from the site, but I don't know if there was any mention of a timeline. I do however think that this is a good idea, considering the longevity of these issues. And like you said, NO archive or software directory includes items known to be non functional.

What do others think about a timeline on this issue ?

Dave ?

r
rcohen

Postby remlap » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:33 am

Votre Anglais c'est beaucoup mieux que mon Français mais votre contribution c'est extrêmement bienvenue.
remlap

Enough is enough!!!

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:39 am

Hello,

Like some of you I'm too (still) waiting for promised (and paid for!) plug-ins. Alberto has helped me a lot in the past, I appreciate his work and was even prepared to wait some time to let him straighten out things, but this is preposterous! I've given up hope and (more or less) have put up with this situation.

But...what is more important, and I'm not only talking about Alberto, is what new or potential Neobookers must think of this.
Looks very promising, the Neosoft website filled with links to plug-ins that don't exist anymore or aren't supported anymore. You can download (most of) them, pay for them and hopefully you can use them. Some of them will work as expected (Yeeha!), others are only tested on 1 specific Windows platform, have bugs or are lacking a decent manual and/or demo, etc.

I guess this must really be frustrating when being new to Neobook! In the past there were some very nasty answers when people came up with other tools (languages) in this forum. I even remember a multimedia authoring tool that was called '.' (dot) in this forum... Its third-party plug-ins (including support) was not something to be proud about. And now I see the same thing happening with this great tool.

I don't see much in creating some sort of classification for plug-ins (and its developers). Perhaps harsh, but I am more for the 'take a broom and wipe it away' solution. What's the point in keeping a list of plug-ins that are not supported or even sold anymore?! If a commercial plug-in developer wants to sell his plug-in he will surely show his face from time to time in this forum, if not, he's perhaps not interested anymore...
And I can't blame him for moving on, but for this list with links to plug-ins for 'keeping up appearances'. It's just not fair to newcomers!

Furthermore, in the past there was some sort of unwritten rule in which plug-in developers did not interfere with each other's projects. If developer A launched e.g. a Database plug-in, then developer B would not create the same plug-in again (or too). Some have broken this 'rule' and I really hope the rest will do this too. Let the customer decide what's good or bad. And if I'm not wrong, more and more Neobookers have said in the past to be willing to pay a decent amount of money for decent plug-ins. And I really would not mind that NeoSoft would recreate some of the plug-ins on the plug-in list as some other (and I'm not talking about '.') multimedia authoring tool companies do.

Finally IMHO, the list with plug-ins is like a box of chocolates...

Regards,
Frank

Nil Volentibus Arduum
Frank

Postby rcohen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:55 am

Just to add, Frank....

YES, almost everyone I speak to agrees that for PROFESSIONAL GRADE PLUGINS, a higher licensing fee IS in order. But I DO think that NS should list available plugins.... it's a HUGE help, but yes, I also agree that this list should be filtered to include ONLY known working (and supported) solutions.

The trouble is, how does NS go about doing this in a politically correct manner? Understandably, you don't want to upset those few who ARE coding for NB, but then.... you DO want to be fair to USERS at the same time. As such, I would NOT be in favor of removing ALL of Alberto's plugins from said list, but rather, ONLY the ones that are not working.

The process must remain objective.

r
rcohen

Postby datadon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:49 am

Sadly, as I have known Alberto on this forum for a number of years, and he has been a good friend and made many useful plugins, I must agree however that something must be done regarding the lack of support. Something is not right on the business end of Techmedia and the lack of our true understanding makes it difficult for those of us who make a living off of these tools to continue to take those risk with so many unknowns.

I support the limited removal of some plugins that are experiencing support issues and not getting resolved in a timely manner. Perhaps a group of 3 to 5 people could be an advisory board along with Dave to make those type of decisions, as fairly as possible. Or perhaps a list of questionable plugins or known issues as a minimum. This list should apply to all plugin makers and show up where the links are provided.

I don't currently have any plugin issues with Alberto, but that maybe because I have ceased using them for lack of support. At least on the commercial side of things.

The truth is, many of us have a real investment in Neobook. We do things with it the produce income for us. We use the plugins in conjunction with it to make our living. We need to be able to make good choices with sound information. Freebies are freebies, but paid for plugins are accountable. Just like the products we produce and sell.

As always..

Caveat Emptor "Buyer Beware"

Stay well Alberto

Don
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby Jay-Bird » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:01 am

I say "pull 'em off out of the Window"....that way when people "window shop" the plug-ins page, they are not available, who would advertise products that are not just flawed, but flawed with NON existent support.

I am definetly not a hard person to get along with, but this trying to decide what should be done with non-supported flawed plugins- politically correct - try not to hurt someones feelings stuff -has to end once an for all.

It is of course totally, 100% up to NS to decide, but I think that after 60-90 -120 days of NO reply on FLAWED plugins (not even a reply that he is working on it and it may take a month,year or whatever) is not just wrong, it is grounds for removal of the Links and ads that SUPPORT his deceit... ill or not, there is NO excuse to never contact a customer, and I mean never... funny, I was emailed over and over while I was deciding which "Suites" to buy....

Yes, I am angry, and everyone involved should be. Call it what it is...

NS may remove this BUT I am advising ANY new NeoBooker to NOT purchase any plugins from TechMedia, "Alberto"...I repeat DO NOT BUY.

<My Rant now over>
Jay-Bird

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:55 am

I'm very sorry that Techmedia hasn't been able to deliver promised plug-ins, technical support, etc. NeoSoft doesn't have any control over the quality of third party plug-ins, but we can certainly remove a developer's listing from our web site when serious complaints arise.

I think we've given Techmedia more than ample time to correct any problems and resolve any misunderstandings. Therefor, we will be removing Techmedia's listings from our plug-in page immediately.

In May, NeoSoft will be replacing the current plug-ins page with a new site called the "NeoBook Resource Center". The new site will allow developers to manage their own plug-in listings. Users will be able to rate individual plug-ins and write reviews. Hopefully, this will allow future plug-in users to share information about what's good and what's not.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Alberto_Meyer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:42 pm

To Bob:

>tmIEhelpmer formally tmHTMLhelper

As I constantly said in private email to Bob an Robert Cohen, HTMLHelper has a problem with Neo5 (just Neo5). I´m working hard on it, and i have writing email evertytime they write me telling that.

It´s really not fair on follow plugs

tmCalendar
tmScheduler

I have made an update on this email and I have sent to many clients.

I have told that I´m not looking into the forums. I have asked to write me personal emails and I have answered and, in most cases, make the clients suggests. I´m sorry, but IE Helper is taking time, because it´s a complex code. It´s NOT Dave fault, but it is working well on Neo4 and have problems in Neo5. Robert Cohen ask me about a thing in JAVASCRIPT code that´s not working. It´s VIRTUALLY impossible for a plugin catch ALL the internet scenarios, but I am coding to provide it and i receive a email today telling me about this post.

I am answering all the private emails and, i want to ask people to continue sending me private emails, because i can resolve the stuff.

I have lots of plugins to release (some of them are pre-orderers) and it will be released. This week i will release PrintSys3.

Thank you for teh people who use my FREEWARE stuff, too.
Alberto_Meyer

Postby cp4w » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:02 pm

To Alberto,

If you upgraded the tmcalendar and scheduler why can I not get it if I paid for it.

Why can't you look in the Neobook forum and let us know what is doing.

I also paid for a not fullt delivered Internet Suite.

Such talent, what a pity.
cp4w

Postby Roxie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm

In May, NeoSoft will be replacing the current plug-ins page with a new site called the "NeoBook Resource Center". The new site will allow developers to manage their own plug-in listings. Users will be able to rate individual plug-ins and write reviews. Hopefully, this will allow future plug-in users to share information about what's good and what's not.

Great idea!
Roxie

Postby remlap » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Alberto wrote:
It´s really not fair on follow plugs

tmCalendar
tmScheduler

I have made an update on this email and I have sent to many clients.

and when did I get my "email", Al? Some six hours AFTER you made this posting. And what an email it was...

Now let's get this right, I am a good paying customer and you sell me a number of plugins

tmInternetSuite: cost me $200, at the time of purchase it only "days from release". That was 2.5 years ago. Not once have you apologised or offered a refund.

tmHTMLhelper/tmIEhelper - a complete non-functioning dog of a plugin which will freeze the application, requiring a three-finger-salute if, you dare to go anywhere near a website that has javascript in the header. And all you can say is

It´s VIRTUALLY impossible for a plugin catch ALL the internet scenarios,

Al, smell the coffee....if your IE plugin freezes up at the first sniff of javascript....it's useless...a non-plugin....a complete rip-off of your customers.

Then there's tmCalandar/tmScheduler....which you don't think is fair of me to have a go at; despite them being bugged up and commercially useless.

So bearing all of the above in mind, let's return to this email of yours....a one line email to a paying customer who has had nothing but grief, non-functioning products, a $200 worth of plug-in's which I have not received.

All you have to do is send a email asking.

No, "sorry to have messed your around" or "thank you for your patience"?

Your attitude to your customers stinks, Al. You don't want to provide support in this forum, but it's okay for you to grace us with your presence when you have some more dysfuntional code to peddle.
remlap

Postby naglieri » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Neosoft Support wrote:I'm very sorry that Techmedia hasn't been able to deliver promised plug-ins, technical support, etc. NeoSoft doesn't have any control over the quality of third party plug-ins, but we can certainly remove a developer's listing from our web site when serious complaints arise.

I think we've given Techmedia more than ample time to correct any problems and resolve any misunderstandings. Therefor, we will be removing Techmedia's listings from our plug-in page immediately.

the thing rather seems me ridiculous.
During the years Meyer has developed a lot of of plugin, some not you publish for the common people.
The development of the plugins I am also surely the fortune of Neobook (which think that have to thank).
Other point is the technical level of whom participates in the forum: technically a little prepared, very lazy to the point to ask for plugin for anything, also not to write 2 lines of code.
The same thing was happening with Ron Marie a couple of years ago.
Eliminated by the site neobook the plugins is surely one of the biggest errors. The plugins are the life of Neobook and not the contrary.

If really cleaning was had to do, the plugins of André Valdeci de Souza, NeopolisOz, Aplicaciones Especiales is surely, from the technical point of view, inferior to those of Meyer yet I am still them.
But have you ever tried her some of these plugins? they work..... :-)
perhaps about nobody is ever complained because few have bought them.....

By chance when NeoBookDB don't work this whole noise has been done?
Is NeoBookDX perhaps exempted by problems?
Then we are serious, Neobook is a small software made of small people, and as you have acted it is really ridiculous
Naglieri Marco
Information Technology
Tel +39-0721-433352 Fax +39-0721-400924
Renco S.p.A - 61100 Pesaro - Italy
www.renco.it
naglieri

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions