Source language: Translate to:

Billenium Transitions for NeoBook new version 1.1

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Billenium Transitions for NeoBook new version 1.1

Postby BilleniumSoft » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:16 am

We have just released a new version of Billenium Transitions Xtra.

You can download a fully featured trial version at

http://www.billeniumsoft.com

If you prefer not to install the Plug-in you can download just a demo executable (1091 KB) at

http://www.billeniumsoft.com/btn/files/btndemo.exe

What's new in version 1.1?:

- Fixed a bug in the trial version which was causing wrong rendering in some computers.
- Optimized transition storing in the pub.
- Improved setup for installing the product.
Last edited by BilleniumSoft on Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
BilleniumSoft

Re: Billenium Transitions for NeoBook new version 1.1

Postby domino » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:12 am

BilleniumSoft wrote:If you prefer not to install the Plug-in you can download just a demo executable (1091 KB) at

http://www.billeniumsoft/btn/files/btndemo.exe

Typo (the .com bit...)

:D http://www.billeniumsoft.com/btn/files/btndemo.exe
domino

Postby BilleniumSoft » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:18 am

Thanks, I have fixed it.
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
BilleniumSoft

Demo very impressive

Postby edunaway » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:38 am

Wow, I had no idea this was possible with Neobook. Was this demo made with Neobook? The effects and transitions are so smooth!

-eric
edunaway

Postby BilleniumSoft » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:28 am

Yes, the demo has been created with NeoBook. We also include the pub file as sample for the product.
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
BilleniumSoft

Postby Gaev » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:06 am

Francisco:

I did not install the plug-in (this time) but I did download the demo ... is very impressive.

It got me thinking ... since you have already mastered the code for transitioning from ImageA to ImageB, making it available beyond the "Page to Page Navigation Event" (correct me if I am wrong) might make it deployable in a broader set of NeoBook applications (pubs) ... and purchased by even more developers ; for instance ...

- like other plug-ins, if developers could (via script) specify a Rectangle object to be used as the "canvas" on which the magic show (er ... transitions) could be presented.

- and there could be more options ... like starting and stopping the transitions at other than 0% and 100% (like is done now) ... and using multiple images in defined spaces within the canvas ... or even non-image files like text and shapes (rectangles, triangles, ellipses or even polygons bounded by points/Bezier Curves).

Then, NeoBook developers could produce presentations and movie like animations via script ... just some ideas.
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:34 pm

Gaev,

The Billenium Transitions plug-in also works with the ShowObject and HideObject actions. Could these actions be used to create a slide show that appears to be running inside a rectangle?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Billenium Transitions plugin

Postby edunaway » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:57 pm

I didn't know it worked with show/hide objects also. After purchasing the plugin I was surprised when I didn't see it listed like the normal plugins and only happened to find it in the page transitions by accident. At first I thought it didn't install properly. Maybe you should modify your install to explain this once the install completes so it is more obvious to those of us that like to dive right in. ;)

-eric
edunaway

Postby Gaev » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:25 pm

The Billenium Transitions plug-in also works with the ShowObject and HideObject actions.
So that's where you invoke it ... I thought it could be applied to objects ... but as with the Page ones, I kept looking for the transitions in the wizards for the Dialog Boxes for each of the objects ... makes sense to associate them with actions related to objects.
Could these actions be used to create a slide show that appears to be running inside a rectangle?
That's a good start ... perhaps, in addition to the current "single effect valuess", the plug-in might support (pointers to [variables] or SubRoutines that permited) multiple specifications including ... starting and stopping the transitions at other than 0% and 100% (like is done now) ... and using multiple images in defined spaces ... or even non-image files like text and shapes (rectangles, triangles, ellipses or even polygons bounded by points/Bezier Curves).

Yes Eric, this plug-in operates in a uniquely different way ... I think I recall an enhancement to the plug-in SDK that talked about this ... but a command-less plug-in almost seems like an oxy-moron at first sight.
Gaev

Postby datadon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:21 pm

I actually created a slideshow with NB transistions and I checked, it does work with these (So nicely I probably will buy these as well)

Basically I have 2 picture objects, one on top of the other, with variables as the file names. To go to the next picture, I just show or hide the top picture object, and it works perfectly.

It's actually quite nice.
datadon

Postby BilleniumSoft » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:04 am

I fully understand the need for more flexibility. There are many not so obvious situations where one could use a transition for getting interesting and original effects. Ideally, the only limit should be your creativity.

In any case, a transitions plugin can't go further than the transitions SDK specifications without hacking NeoBook, which should be avoided. I don't think there's a single feature we have failled to implement so far, but I could be wrong because I don't have as good knowledge of NeoBook as most of you.
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
BilleniumSoft

Postby Gaev » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:55 am

Francisco:
a transitions plugin can't go further than the transitions SDK specifications without hacking NeoBook, which should be avoided.
I agree.

However, would you be willing to publish the format of the "string values" stored in the "effect" parameter of the ShowObject/HideObject commands ? ... I suppose one could figure them out by trial and error but not recommended in case you decide to make changes in the future ... I ask because knowing the format would make it much more efficient in deploying effects dynamically e.g. instead of hard coding ...

ShowObject "Picture5" "Billenium" "BTNS203E80300"

... one could have ...

ShowObject "Picture5" "Billenium" "[myEffect]"

... and the variable [myEffect] could be endlessly modified (perhaps inside a Loop) or stored/loaded from file/database (akin to StyleSheets and HTML documents).
Gaev

Postby beno » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:00 am

Hi,

I like Gaev's idea: it would be great to be able to interact with this plugin.

Saludos,

beno
beno

Postby BilleniumSoft » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:28 am

would you be willing to publish the format of the "string values" stored in the "effect" parameter of the ShowObject/HideObject commands ?

That's a binary format and it's not possible to explain it. However we have plans for an additional text format in a future version. While the transitions editor would continue to save the transitions data by using the binary format, you would be able to configure the effects by hand using the text format.

Do you think that solution would meet your needs?
Regards,
Francisco Sanchez
BilleniumSoft
BilleniumSoft

Postby Gaev » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:22 am

Francisco:
Do you think that solution would meet your needs?
Any solution that facilitates ....

ShowObject "Picture5" "Billenium" "[myEffect]"

... is sufficient ; right now, I have a "dummy" command like ...

ShowObject "Dummy" "Billenium" "BTNS1234etc"

... that I use to get the value in the third parameter ... then I copy the values to something like ...

SetVar "[gkEffectCrossFade1]' "BTNS1234etc."

... and where needed, I use ...

ShowObject "whateverObject" "Billenium" "[gkEffectCrossfade1]"

... and repeat the process for each desired effect (and its sub-effects).
That's a binary format and it's not possible to explain it. However we have plans for an additional text format in a future version. While the transitions editor would continue to save the transitions data by using the binary format, you would be able to configure the effects by hand using the text format.
Yes, it is preferable that Billenium provide the "translation from English-like (human understandable ?) expressions to the binary/hex codes" ... so any changes/additions would remain in sync. ... implementation possibilities ...

a) provide one or more library functions that developer can "Call" e.g. ...

Call "btnsSetCode" "ResultVariable" "CrossFade" "param1" "param2" etc.

... which would translate values in the parameters to the "BTNS1234etc." type code and store it in the specified "ResultVariable" ... could even be one function per type of transition e.g. ...

Call "btnsConvertCrossFade" "ResultVariable" "param1" "param2" etc.
Call "btnsConvertCircle" "ResultVariable" "param1" "param2" etc.

... etc. etc.

b) If you are not comfortable with the fact that this method exposes your translation scheme (secrets ?) to other developers, each of the Calls can instead be "plug-in commands" e.g. ...

btnsConvertCrossFade "ResultVariable" "param1" "param2" etc.
btnsConvertCircle "ResultVariable" "param1" "param2" etc.

... etc. ; if you were thinking of expanding the deployment of the same plugin/code in other uses, this second method would be prefered i.e. your plug-in could also offer facilities to "paint" a part of the NeoBook pub window (bounded by a specified Rectangle object) with the same kind of effects ... only, the transition would be from one specified image file to another ... or even from RichText and other Geometric Shapes to another ... with rotation ... this is where one could specify a nn% value (1 to 100) for the "start" and "stop" of the transition ... and and if the same plug-in could facilitate saving the resulting imagery to a file, that would be heavenly !!
Gaev

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions