Source language: Translate to:

NeobookDB update

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Postby TMcD » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:49 am

Wrangler wrote:How much I would pay for the plugin would depend on the featureset. I think one should consider that neodb will still be available for use. Although limited, it gets the job done, and it's free. As a developer using Neobook, I also would look at the return on my investment. What Dave has in mind for the new plug isn't an upgrade to neodb. Let's call it a "Pro" version, and an entity in itself. Many users of nb wouldn't justify the extra cost. But developers who use it in shareware (as I do), or those who do custom development could justify it's cost, as it supplies the tools that will put us up there with the "big guys". Shareware authors don't make a lot of money. Some of my projects don't make any money at all. But if I could offer the features that, let's say, QuantamGrid affords, those who trial my programs may decide to buy, when otherwise they wouldn't. And I think that NeoSoft's sales would also increase, as now they have more power to offer to prospective buyers.

And if Dave continues to add more power to Neobook, I think eventually the name won't justify the product. Neobook at first glance of the name, makes me think about ebooks. I think we all know it's gone way past that already. It IS the best ebook creator out there. But it is also becoming an excellent software development environment, or RAD, so it be. When prospective buyers see how easy and fun it is to develop with it, and the power it has, I think it will jump up to the next level, where the expectations of developers currently using other programming environments will be satisfied, as has already been proven in a small way in the past. And probably it will never directly compete with environments such as visual basic, or Delphi, but it will give them a run for their money.

When I first bought Neobook 5-6 years ago (has it been THAT long? wow), just using the sample pubs, I had created a cool functional program in the first hour. When I tried to learn visual basic, that time was spent reading the first chapter of the manual. So, to sum up, I think if you combine ease of use, and power together, something Dave is good at, you've got something special in today's world of programming. All that is good will follow.

Wrangler, I think you bring up some thought provoking ideas...

1. Shareware & NeoBook. I'd love for you and anyone else doing shareware using NeoBook to start a thread, (in fact I think it could have it's own section within the discussion board). I'd love to learn about it, experiences can be shared, pitfalls, lessons learned, etc.

Some people are looking do earn a full-time income, others, just some additional spending money.

Anyway, I'd be interested in learning about the industry from personal experiences and then as others come along they can keep adding to it.

2. NeoBook (the name). I too think it has outgrown the name. It's Dave's call, but I think a name change to really reflect the ease of use and the functionality of the software would be good. (I'll leave it at that.)

3. I've been around since the early days too, wow... I've always loved the NeoBook community. I still think back to some people that have come and gone (not active), good friends: Ronnie Toon, Loraine (Rainie) (BillyBear4Kids.com), the guy that was very active and ran: http://neodezign.tripod.com (I know his name but it slips the brain.)

Troy
TMcD

Postby Wrangler » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:12 pm

Ah, yes. The old days. I can remember the old hosted forum. And a fellow who I think highly of named Jim Bremmer. He was the "guru" of neobook at the time, and I can't begin to say how much help he was to me and many others just beginning with neobook. Last I heard he had gotten sick, and haven't heard from him since. Does anyone have any data on Jim?

And our buddy, Al Meyer, who comes and goes every few years. Anyone know where he went this time?

Neobook has come a long way. I never experienced the dos version, but 4.0 convinced me. Someday we'll look back, and maybe laugh at how wimpy it was compared to today. :D And of course, this forum. Unparalleled. Including some of the good open source forums, I haven't been part of one as good as this one. And the great part is (although sometimes a hindurance due to language barriers) that people from all over the world come here for help and advice. Since day one, part of my morning ritual while guzzling my first cup of Joe, I cruise this forum. Almost every day, I learn something new. I have a snippet bank full of good stuff.

I think starting a thread on shareware and neobook is a good idea. I would be happy to put up the first post.

It just keeps getting better......
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby beno » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi,

Ah, yes. The old days...

Yes those were old days, but before that was the CompuServe Forum... when we were numbers. Thank God those days are gone! at least now we can create our own account names...

I still have my NeoBook DOS, do not use it now but it is a real beautiful piece of software.

Saludos,

beno
beno

Postby Wrangler » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: We still are numbers, Beno. But not here. Compuserve. That does go back a ways. Actually, before everyone else jumped on the band wagon, they were the best around, aside from just raw internet. Nice little community for many.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby datadon » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:05 pm

I was looking at the new excel spreadsheet in the office 2007 suite that is due out in a few days. Very impressive and hugh grid. My question is, in the new db plugin coming down the pike, is there anyway it will be able to connect to the xml style spreadsheet that is coming?

With all the window docs going to the xml formats, it might just open up some other interesting applications for NB. Being text based and all.
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby edunaway » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:03 pm

You can add my vote for XML either as part of the import/export capabilities for the database plugin or for a separate plugin. XML is becoming so much more common that it needs to be addressed for Neobook to keep up with the times. I have a vendor that suddenly dropped CSV as their data format and now uses XML only. This has really messed up the workflow for one of my clients.

-eric
edunaway

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:36 pm

An XML import/export feature will be included in the new DB.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby TMcD » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:56 pm

Awesome Dave!

Yeah, I think that XML is something that cannot be ignored, and the fact that it is text based, even shhhhweeeeeterrrrrr.. :)

Troy
TMcD

Postby datadon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:36 am

As usual, Dave is on top of what the customers want. Excellent!!!!

Xml formats are going to be some big in the 2007 versions of office that the options for doing stuff is going to increase dramatically. At least it seems to me at first glance.

The line between desktop apps online apps is fading away. An office document can be put online in almost it's native format. I think you will see that becoming even more so the rule very shortly.

Check out the new Office 2007 suite and see what it can do.

Don
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby Wrangler » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:48 am

Own stock in Microsoft, Don? :) OpenOffice (http://openoffice.org) also supports xml, and it's FREE. :D

Don't know why everyone raves about MS Office. It's bloated and overpriced. Take a look at OpenOffice, and see what IT can do.

Did I mention it is FREE?
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby Gaev » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:40 pm

Wrangler:
Own stock in Microsoft, Don? OpenOffice (http://openoffice.org) also supports xml, and it's FREE.
Don't know why everyone raves about MS Office. It's bloated and overpriced. Take a look at OpenOffice, and see what IT can do.
Did I mention it is FREE?
I think you missed Don's point ....
As usual, Dave is on top of what the customers want. Excellent!!!!
... it is not a matter of which is better/best ... but what customers have (want) ... and like it or not ... Windows and Office ... and even Internet Explorer rule the desktop ... mainly because the cost to migrate far exceeds the cost of using a lesser (but good enough) product ... training, conversion of older documents, replacements of VBA scripts within such documents, interoperability ... just to name a few.
Xml formats are going to be some big in the 2007 versions of office that the options for doing stuff is going to increase dramatically. At least it seems to me at first glance.
The line between desktop apps online apps is fading away. An office document can be put online in almost it's native format. I think you will see that becoming even more so the rule very shortly.
... and MicroSoft is just catching up to the rest of the world ... which embraced XML a long time ago ... but it is good that they have joined the party ... as interoperability benefits everyone ...

BTW, I haven't had MS Office on my desktop for the last 10 years now.
Gaev

Postby Wrangler » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:04 pm

I think you missed Don's point ....

No, got his point. Just wanted to make others aware that there was a viable alternative out there that didn't require a Visa platinum. I did forget to mention that OpenOffice is compatible with all MS office formats, as well as just about any other format.

There is also a portable version available that will run from a flash drive.

And I too have gotten along without MS Office for a number of years. I didn't say to check it out to be smart. You really should take a look.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby datadon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:03 pm

I went to the grand opening of Office 2007 and Vista today.

I was pretty impressed. Couple notes of interest.

Office is now it's own development engine. You can customize it to look like your own application if you want. Or do tons more with it. User interface is really quite amazing.

The connectivitity with users through may different methods is really quite impressive also.

But the most important note of all....

There are 450 million users who are familar with it's format and use it daily. For about 40% of them it is the only product they use.

If you don't want to tap into that....

Anyway, good comments and worth checking out if you are so inclined.
Don

datadon

Postby edunaway » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 am

Reading & writing Word/Excel formats should be core features.

Dave, how flexible will the XML functionality be to accomodate things like Microsoft's XML formats? Will we be able to do this as part of the import/export function provided by the database plugin or will we need to build subroutines to properly format these files?

-eric
edunaway

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:52 am

how flexible will the XML functionality be to accommodate things like Microsoft's XML formats?

An export action will output the database structure and content to what I think is a standard XML database format. I'm not sure if that's different from Microsoft's "official" XML formats, but we can tweak it if necessary.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

PreviousNext

Return to PlugIn Discussions