Source language: Translate to:

Custom Email Client Application

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Re: Custom Email Client Application

Postby dpayer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 am

samfourie wrote:Dear Neobook Forum and all Geniuses here....

Can with NeoBook and/or with the help of any Modules, an Email client be created, that either works of normal POP and SMTP protocols,

I see on the resource center two plugins, one from TechMedia and NeoPop that could help with this task.

You will want to think through your storage system. Do you want these emails stored in a database or as single files? If as single files, will the lists get quite large and hard to control? Do you need to be able to create sub folders for storage?

You can use open source mail servers to help with this project and adapt for your needs (HMail / MailEnable both have free versions that are very powerful). If you use this as a closed system, you may want to consider using non standard ports (SMTP port 25 is the big problem) and not allowing ANY forwarding (to outside email addresses) so you won't be used by hackers to send out mail. I once had a server that got penetrated by people finding an obscure username/pw combination and they pushed out almost a million pieces of mail from my server. I caught it when it was 25% done and stopped it but the result was a mess of a mixture of spam and valid mail in the queue.

I don't recommend running your own email server if you are not familiar with the process. It is getting quite complicated over time to keep up with the expectations of other servers on the net.

Still, this seems a doable project. SMTP/POP is a great way to send messages between various computers.

David P
dpayer

Postby cp4w » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:14 am

I am also looking for similar functionality as you. I would like to make an e-mail client for special needs and older individuals and would need and well supported robust POP3 and possibly IMAP plug-in.
cp4w

Re: Custom Email Client Application

Postby David de Argentina » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 am

You can also addapt some Server-Side programs (like RoundCube) to do your own webmail running into a WebBrowser Object. This alternative requires some knowledge about PHP and MySQL, but the result could be fantastic.
David de Argentina

Return to NeoBook and the Internet