Source language: Translate to:

Taken easy with PayPal and potential "customers"

Questions related to the distribution, marketing and selling of applications created with NeoBook. (Formally titled: "Making Money with NeoBook")

Moderators: Neosoft Support, Wrangler

Postby rcohen » Mon May 07, 2012 3:48 pm

dec wrote:
Neosoft Support wrote:It would be nice if PayPal would let you know if a payment came from a credit card or an account transfer. Then you could give the order extra scrutiny. It would also be nice if PayPal would let you choose not to accept credit card payments.

I got burned only ONE TIME this way using PayPal and my answer solved the issue, at least for me. I do NOT accept orders from those with freemail accounts! MOST scams originate from freemail accts.

r
rcohen

Postby dec » Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi,

Maybe take care about free mails can be a good point too. But some of my customers are good people who use free email services. The best option I can found at this time is to contact. To try to talk with the customer. For example, ask them for a user name and email address, if want to use the same that on PayPal or not: the objective is that the customer reply your message.

If you can tall with the person, and interchange some emails, can be a good signal that everything is OK. This emails can be used as a prove in case that later the person refuse the PayPal order. And, in other sense, possibles "scammers" don't talk with you, don't reply your mails, etc. If a potential customer don't reply your mails... don't trust on their PayPal order.

The best thing is to take care about this: if you know what is a "Chargeback" you take care around any operation, and untrust about any that appear some suspicious. In other words, in my case, the problem is that I uknow what a "Chargeback" is, so I don't take care about it. In fact I don't know that a customer can refuse a PayPal order, or bank transfer, or credit card operation. Now that I know this... my point of view change.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby dpayer » Tue May 08, 2012 10:30 am

I used to have a license for a certain software. When you purchased, it was valid for a month, then he gave a final version. If you did the same, you could get your payment and then give a final version after it clears.

David

dec wrote:Hi,

Maybe take care about free mails can be a good point too. But some of my customers are good people who use free email services. The best option I can found at this time is to contact. To try to talk with the customer. For example, ask them for a user name and email address, if want to use the same that on PayPal or not: the objective is that the customer reply your message.

If you can tall with the person, and interchange some emails, can be a good signal that everything is OK. This emails can be used as a prove in case that later the person refuse the PayPal order. And, in other sense, possibles "scammers" don't talk with you, don't reply your mails, etc. If a potential customer don't reply your mails... don't trust on their PayPal order.

The best thing is to take care about this: if you know what is a "Chargeback" you take care around any operation, and untrust about any that appear some suspicious. In other words, in my case, the problem is that I uknow what a "Chargeback" is, so I don't take care about it. In fact I don't know that a customer can refuse a PayPal order, or bank transfer, or credit card operation. Now that I know this... my point of view change.
dpayer

Postby andybrock » Tue May 08, 2012 12:09 pm

That's a good idea. But I'd make it 60 days as you can still get chargebacks in that time frame. You can of course give us regular customers our full license right away :-)

Andy

dpayer wrote:I used to have a license for a certain software. When you purchased, it was valid for a month, then he gave a final version. If you did the same, you could get your payment and then give a final version after it clears.

David

dec wrote:Hi,

andybrock

Postby Wrangler » Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Just a note: Visa/Mastercard regulations limit the time period to file a chargeback to 60 days, but in some cases it is 90. And Amex says 120 days, but in certain circumstances will accept a dispute up to 2 years after the transaction (Amex has always been different). So there is no sure-fire way to cover it all.

In my experience of doing ecommerce on the net (almost 15 years) accepting paypal and using merchant processors, this doesn't happen very often. Rather than fretting over it and creating an extra inconvenience for your GOOD customers, it's much easier to write it off as doing business, as anyone with merchant status goes through it now and again.

In the US, these losses are tax deductable, which helps some.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Previous

Return to Distributing, Marketing and Selling NeoBook Applications