Source language: Translate to:

Database of choice? Pros, Cons, opinions?

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Database of choice? Pros, Cons, opinions?

Postby smokinbanger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm starting a new database enabled project in the near future that could potentially have very large databases (thousands of records). And in some cases, the database may be hosted on a server and accessed via the internet. But before I begin I would like to do a little research on which type of database would best fit the needs. So I would like to get as much input as possible from all you gurus on the pros, cons, and your opinions on "the" database of choice. Currently dbPro will be the primary plugin for database communication whether it be dbpExecSQL or any other dbp commands but may change depending on your input. I know there are several different databases and severs out there, to name a few; Access, MySQL, Microsoft SQL, SQLite, Visual Fox Pro. I'm not even sure is the dbPro plugin can communicate with all these or other databases so I'm open to lots of opinions, pointers, suggestions, pros, cons, etc.
smokinbanger

Postby Gaev » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:22 pm

smokinbanger:

Visual Fox Pro is no longer sold/supported.

Access and SQLite may/may not work in a multi-user environment where the data is accessed over the internet.

MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server can handle large volumes ... much larger than thousands ... even millions ... as can Oracle and (IBM's) DB2

Another one is PostgreSQL.

All of the above support ODBC ... so you can access them via NeoBookDBPro.

However, I only have personal experience using Access from NeoBookDBPro ... and only from a local disk/storage ... so I can not provide any additional suggestions.
Gaev

Return to NeoBookDBPro