Source language: Translate to:

"THe specified module could not be found"

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

"THe specified module could not be found"

Postby schmutly » Wed May 30, 2012 5:18 am

Hello Gang.
I just purchased DBPro, installed and activated it but whenever i go to
"insert action" the choose ANY part of the DBPRO plugin's list i get an error
""THe specified module could not be found""
I installed the FTP one to try and that works ok.
I have made a camtasia video if someone can take a look and see if it rings a bell as to what may be the problem.
My specs are in last screenshot,
Thanks for your help.
Robbie
DB error<-here
schmutly
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: "THe specified module could not be found"

Postby dpayer » Wed May 30, 2012 6:40 am

schmutly wrote:Hello Gang.
I just purchased DBPro, installed and activated it but whenever i go to
"insert action" the choose ANY part of the DBPRO plugin's list i get an error
""THe specified module could not be found""


I don't have a solution for you but I think the issue might be related to this one:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 52cca73f77

where the 64bit Windows had a problem with recognizing an older MDAC component based on 32bit system.

Can you run the demos that were included in your DBPro package?

David P.
User avatar
dpayer
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:55 am
Location: Iowa - USA

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed May 30, 2012 10:27 am

MDAC is a logical place to look.

DBPro uses Microsoft's database access component (MDAC) to interface with various database files. The location of the error message makes sense if MDAC is the source of the problem. Windows 7 - 64bit ships with both 32bit and 64bit versions of MDAC. Since NeoBook and DBPro are a 32bit programs, they will use the 32bit version of MDAC. It's possible that the 32bit version of MDAC on your PC has been disabled or corrupted somehow which is triggering the error message.

Microsoft has a utility that can diagnose problems with MDAC installations. You might try running this utility on your computer and see if it provides any useful information. You can download the utility here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=1953

You will want to install and run the 32bit version labeled "cc_x86.msi".
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team
 
Posts: 5603
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Postby schmutly » Wed May 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks guys,
Ill have a look when i get home and update the thread.
Thx for your time,
Robbie
schmutly
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Postby schmutly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:34 am

WELL......
Had no luck at all, however, i found a Compromise 8)
I installed VMware player,WinXP Pro and then neobook/DBpro in there
and works a treat.Just as fast and acceptable.
Most important, i am able to continue work so thanks
again for your help guys,

Robbie
schmutly
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 am

I'm glad that you found a workaround.

There must be something unusual about your computer's configuration. The 64-bit Windows 7 PCs we have here run DBPro fine. I suspect that you may encounter similar problems in the future if you install another 32-bit app that uses MDAC, of which there are quite a few.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team
 
Posts: 5603
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Postby schmutly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Your probably right, so i will finish this job
and do a reformat and reinstall as its been 2+ years
and it needs a clean out :lol:
Also, the small 11inch HP "NEW" laptop i have
which had basic Win7 64, just OS and a few programs
worked fine, so i suspect it is something i have installed
along the way that has done it.
Thanks again,
Robbie
schmutly
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm


Return to NeoBookDBPro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest