Source language: Translate to:

DataBase app stuck

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

DataBase app stuck

Postby carlos torres » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi everybody

TIA

I made a simple database app using dbp. On my PC it runs OK and smoothly under Win Ultimate. When I install it on a laptop the app stuck and doesn't change/navigate between records. I don't know why. I follow the trace step by step on my PC an it wokrs OK. This is the first time that it happen.

Anybody has had the same problem?
Is a windows problem?
Is an MS Access problem?

I will appreciate any help.

Regards
carlost
carlos torres

Postby HPW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Hello,

Same OS?
Same Antivir-Softare?

Hans-Peter
Hans-Peter
HPW

About App stuck

Postby carlos torres » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:36 am

Hi Hans-Peter

Thanks for your attention. I'm using Microsoft Security Essential and it seems to me that it works ok.

I never had that kind of problem before. It is not the first app that I made using a database. It is just a students database w/ a blob filed for the picture. with SQL I select different groups of them. Nothing special or strange.

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

About App stuck

Postby carlos torres » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 am

Hi everybody

I decide to restart from zero using a very simple functions.
Now when I update any field and change from record one to record two I recevive a message
this action needs an updatable query

What it means?
What I'm doing wrong?

regards, TIA
carlost
carlos torres

Postby dec » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:29 am

Hi Carlos,

You need some database drivers? If so, assert this are available on the target system. You use some file paths? Assert you never use absolute paths and use the appropiate "[PubDir]" variable (for example) in order to locate your files. On the other hand, you not receive any error? I supose this questions or possible ideas don't work for you, but I will try...
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:59 am

Do you also need to copy the database mdb file to the laptop?

What happens if you try running one of the sample database publications included with DBPro on your laptop?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

About App stuck

Postby carlos torres » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks NBook Team for your concern.

As I said, it never happen before. Probably is the lack of any ms access driver or library.
It behaves ok on my development pc under edition or compiled enviroment. The problem start when it is installed in a different computer. Of course that a .MDB is installed too.

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

About App stuck

Postby carlos torres » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi everybody

TIA

I will appreciate any help.
Anybody knows what happen when you receive a message like this
This operation needs an updatable query

Anybody knows how it comes?

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

Postby dec » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Carlos,

Searching on Google appear this result, which point to some article that maybe can help you.

How do I solve 'Operation must use an updateable query' errors? wrote:This is almost always a permissions issue. Be sure that the MDB file is in a folder where IUSR_<machineName> and IWAM_<machineName> have read/write access (because the anonymous user needs to create an .LDB file when modifying the database). If you are using Windows Authentication, make sure all authenticated users belong to a group that has read/write permissions on the folder where the database exists, and if you can't use a group, step through each user and check that they have sufficient privileges.

Also be sure that the MDB file itself isn't marked as read-only, and that you don't have the MDB file open (particularly in exclusive mode) while trying to reach the DB from ASP. Make sure you are not using simple file sharing, that you are using an NTFS volume, and that you open Access using the mode adModeReadWrite (see Article #2142 for sample usage of the mode property of ADODB.Connection).

For permissions issues, see Article #2205, Article #2326 and KB #175168 for more information.

Another possible reason is that the column actually can't be updated, for example because of a constraint relationship with another table.

Of course this error could also happen if you're storing your Access database on a floppy disk that has write protection enabled (or that is full). Please don't do this; using Access is inefficient enough. You don't want to add floppy seek time to your performance issues.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby Wrangler » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:49 am

It may be helpful if you could post the code you are using, assuming it is not a permissions issue.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

About App stuck

Postby carlos torres » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Dear Dec

you were right! "This is almost always a permissions issue." I checked for users permission on win 7 and they were just for read on the .MDB.

BTW, it is possible to change those user attributes/rights through or by a program or code?

Thanks for your suggestion that put me on the way.

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:07 am

BTW, it is possible to change those user attributes/rights through or by a program or code?

No, it wouldn't be very good security if any program could change it. Instead what your should do is put your database in a folder that already has full user access rights - like the user's documents folder.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

About App stuck

Postby carlos torres » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi NB Team

Thanks for your suggestion... I'll try!

But inmediately jumps a question: putting the database out of the app folder, goes against the good principle of programming that says that you must keep together app+data+resources instead of spreading it all over the pc?

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

Postby Wrangler » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Many applications store their data files outside the install folder, usually in the documents folder or users/username/appdata/roaming/appname folder. Programs like innosetup allow you to let it determine the current users docoment folder during install, so you can cover different versions of windows where the documents folder path will vary.

Personally, I like to keep all my stuff in the install folder. But sometimes it doesn't work there, and using the user's documents folder works well.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

About App stuck

Postby carlos torres » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:32 am

Hi dear Wrangler

As I said before, I'll try this new approach to the install and handling w/ data process. BUt, Win X allow to modify any document put into the documents folder? The user has no restrictions at all?

Thanks for your answer.

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

Next

Return to NeoBookDBPro