Source language: Translate to:

Font problems on Report

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Font problems on Report

Postby smartmedia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:40 am

Hi..

Dave, we have discuss in the past about this issue. So far i couldn't make work right.
It seems that Report Designer automatically adjust the width of the text to cover all the space. (Full adjustment) This has as result to leave in some cases gaps between words or to shrink words together by eating the space between them.
In this example i use Tahoma size 7 Greek, in the photos you can see the extra spaces are produced by Designer or the shrinkage of text.
This is a major issue because you can't print the right result.
Also if in a variable there is more than 1 line, the distance between the lines is small and look almost stack together.

Can you please check it again.

100 % zoom

150 % zoom

fitpage zoom
smartmedia

Postby Wrangler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 am

Is it possible it's particular to the Tahoma font? Have you tried another font like Arial?
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 am

What happens when you actually print the report on paper?

The preview is designed to approximate the spacing and show roughly what the report will look like when output to a printer. It's not intended to be a perfect representation.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:18 am

Hi..

This happens with all most every font. The actual print out is the same with the preview one. Also changing the font size has those result.

PS. After checking the printed result matches to 150% zoom
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 am

We've worked on this in the past and I had thought that the font problems you experienced had improved. I'm not sure what else we can do other than completely rewrite the report module from scratch.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:53 am

Hi..

I wonder if i am the only one who has those problems. If yes, is to much to write again the report module from the beginning. If not, the you need to consider to dedicate more time to improve it.
smartmedia

about fonts in reports

Postby carlos torres » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:17 am

Dear Smartmedia

You're not alone I asked about long time ago and the answer was not accurate. In some cases I adopted to use arial 8 within reports to avoid the problem but printers (I have a laser Jet M 1132 MFP) doesn't work. The printed reports looks like if I was using arial 11 or 12 font with the dbp report.

It will be nice if NB Team make a deep review of the print module.

regards,
carlost
carlos torres

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 am

A rewrite of the report module is on the long term agenda. I think the current report module works adequately for most types of applications. However, for reports requiring very precise placement of text, there is definitely room for improvement.

I don't know if this is an option for you or not, but there are a number of stand-alone reporting tools available. It may be possible to integrate one of them with DBPro to produce reports better suited to your specific needs.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi..

You know any of those tools that can work with NB...??? My application is based on the result of printed reports. If i can't have accurate printed reports my application is useless.
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 am

You know any of those tools that can work with NB...???

I don't know. I suspect that you will need to experiment to find out which tools suit your specific needs. Try searching for "ms access report generator".

My application is based on the result of printed reports. If i can't have accurate printed reports my application is useless.

I'm very sorry that the report module has made your application useless. We spent a tremendous amount of time working with you on this issue, and I was under the impression that the problem had been largely resolved. I don't think there is much more that can be done to the current report module to correct this. Unfortunately, we chose to base the report module on an existing library which turned out to be flawed in how it handles font metrics. Given the amount of time spent trying to work around this flaw, we could have certainly written a better report module from scratch instead. In hindsight that's what we should have done. Eventually, we hope to replace the existing report module with something more robust, but that's not something that can be done in an afternoon. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Luiz Alfredo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm

I think Report Builder from Digital Metaphors ( http://www.digital-metaphors.com/ ), even in it's Standard Edition could be used, as it is ideal for Delphi Developers. As it has TeeChart included, the results are really Excellent.

I use in many Commercial VB Applications a DLL working with an EXE, build with Report Builder and it is really great.

I think Dave could look at this and if it could be used for a Professional Report Plugin. For sure I will be interested in this plugin. Why reinvent the wheel ?
L.A.G.M.
Luiz Alfredo

Postby Luiz Alfredo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Correcting:

It should be at least the Professional Version, cause it has the End User Report Designer and Crosstab Component.
L.A.G.M.
Luiz Alfredo

Postby smartmedia » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi..

Dave, i understand your effort, i have found some professional tools but all of them are not compatible with NB. In majority they use .NET framework. DBPro is one of the best tools i work with, Reports are the essence of collecting and presenting data. Some tools i saw they stand me. To many futures, almost like a full programing tool. I am aware of limitations and resources but please consider in (near if is possible) future to do something about it.
Personally i don't mind to pay an extra 100$ if i am going to use a professional reporting tool.
smartmedia

Postby Gaev » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am

smartmedia:

I have no personal experience with this product ... http://www.reportsmaestro.com/ ... but given your predicament, wouldn't hurt to check it out ... good luck.
Gaev

Postby smartmedia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Gaev wrote:smartmedia:

I have no personal experience with this product ... http://www.reportsmaestro.com/ ... but given your predicament, wouldn't hurt to check it out ... good luck.

Gaev thanks but this report requires server in order to work.
smartmedia

Next

Return to NeoBookDBPro