Source language: Translate to:

Which Database

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Which Database

Postby Carl_SA » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 pm

I have been building applications using Access. I need to move to a more substantial database which can host more users.
I do not have any SQL skills to speak of. So considering this could someone please suggest a simple yet pwerful database that I should be looking at.
Carl_SA

Postby Gaev » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:08 am

Carl:

You don't mention how you are going to be using this "next database" ... on a website shared by users via the internet ? ... in a LAN environment ?

If you are going to be developing the applications using NeoBookDBPro, then you can get away without knowing SQL ... as the same commands you use to interact with the Access Database are used for any of the other Databases.

At the Database end, all the major ones (mySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2) speak SQL ... so for direct interaction, you need to speak their lingo.
Gaev

Postby Carl_SA » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 am

Hi Gaev,

Not internet at this time however this could be a consideration in the future.

I have played a bit with MySQL and have got it working on a local machine. I bought an application called "navicat" which is great for MySQL. I was just wondering if MySQL would be the way to go.

If I am staring at a learning curve it might as well be the right one.

Thanks again!
Carl_SA

Postby Gaev » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:21 am

Carl:

The learning curve is the same ... SQL on mySQL is same as SQL on Oracle etc. ... with minor differences in syntax, features etc.

But from a cost perspective mySQL is the best choice.

Support (documentation and third party) would also be a good reason to pick them.

Also, if you ever move to an environment where it is part of your website, mySQL will be more available (from Web Hosts) than Oracle or DB2 ... and perhaps even SQL Server.

Also, as far as I know DB2 is not available on the desktop ... and SQL Server and Oracle might require high end hardware/OS resources to be able to run.
Gaev

Return to NeoBookDBPro