Source language: Translate to:

MySQL - PKG-Internet-Application

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

MySQL - PKG-Internet-Application

Postby Stefan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:27 am

Hi to All!

I'am trying to make an application, wich run on a server. On this server I have a MY-SQL Database installed and running.
I have made an Neobook application as PGK wich run also on the server.

Now, the idea of this application is, that everone can run it.
- The user must now installe a Active X Component - ok, if the security allow it, it's possible.
- But now, to connect to the database?
Is it neccaissairy to install also a MYSQL ODBC Driver - or has Nebook an other possibility to connect to a MYSQL Database. Because to install an MYSQL-Driver to run this application is very complex for an internet user and needs administration-rights!

Have someone an idee or solution?
Thanks and kind regards!
Stefan

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 am

I'am trying to make an application, wich run on a server. On this server I have a MY-SQL Database installed and running.
I have made an Neobook application as PGK wich run also on the server.

Are you talking about a LAN server or an Internet server?

If you're using an Internet server to create a public website, then NeoBook is probably not be the right tool for the job. In addition to downloading and installing the ActiveX control, the pkg file generated by NeoBook must also be downloaded. The application/pkg will run on the local PC - not the server. With MySQL you will need to provide an ODBC driver.

For security reasons, most Internet hosting plans configure their database servers so that they cannot be accessed by applications running on a local PC - as is the case with ActiveX controls. In order to access a database over the Internet you will find a hosting plan that will allow you to custom configure mySQL to allow external access.

For a LAN server, you could use an EXE instead of a pkg. An EXE can be run from the server and access a database without a special configuration. An ODBC driver will be required for MySQL, but if you use MS Access format instead, the required driver is already installed as part of Windows.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby David de Argentina » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm

SmartMedia wrote in:
http://www.neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15213

In my server is installed the cPanel version 11.4.18-RELEASE-14158
In site management tools there is an option called MySQL databases over there you
can create-edit-delete databases and also create-delete-grant rights to users, also there is an option Access Hosts.
Access Hosts grants the access of every ip is on the list, Host (% wildcard is allowed).
For example if you want to grant access for everybody you just enter %.%.%.%
Now i can connect easy from dbp with the following example...

Perhaps this info could be usefull

My devaluated cent,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby dpayer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm

David de Argentina wrote:SmartMedia wrote in:
http://www.neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15213

In my server is installed the cPanel version 11.4.18-RELEASE-14158
In site management tools there is an option called MySQL databases over there you
can create-edit-delete databases and also create-delete-grant rights to users, also there is an option Access Hosts.
Access Hosts grants the access of every ip is on the list, Host (% wildcard is allowed).
For example if you want to grant access for everybody you just enter %.%.%.%
Now i can connect easy from dbp with the following example...

Perhaps this info could be usefull

My devaluated cent,
David de Argentina

While this is true, you open a door for someone to do a dictionary attack against your MySQL server. For example, if you do not change the root name from "root" to something else, then attackers would only have to do a dictionary attack with passwords. Once they get the right response, they control your MySQL server and your data is toast.

That is why it is better to assign users @ IP addresses in the PhPMyAdmin so individuals can have remote access but you don't open up the "barn door" so to speak.

David P
dpayer

Postby smartmedia » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi..

When you create a MySQL database you can create users as well with a name and a password. That means username root can be what ever you want. Now, if you want to create an application that will be client-server topology you need in most cases to able to access all users form different IP's. Of course you can cut IP's from country's that you don't want to enter to your app.
smartmedia

Postby datadon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:15 am

Hmmm

The relationship we all seem to have with the internet becomes more strained as each day passes. We do so much c**p just to keep the bad guys out that at times, it seems hardly worth it.

I know it's all necessary and if you're gonna play the game you got to play by the rules, I know that. The more I try to link up my apps with the internet and databases and email etc., the more I just go back to local databases and good old local Neobook apps.

my stimulus adjusted .0002 cents
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby smartmedia » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:53 am

Hi..

The internet application is the future. Right now we are in the middle of that situation. Imagine to plug out you Ethernet... How long you will survive, this is strange but will live in future times. More will come, the new generations they see things that we can't even imagine.
So i believe that a internet app is the future, today browsing with all languages inside is just not enough to fill the gaps. On the other hand, a solid application that is communicate with Internet in real time will offer you a lot more. Think about it.
For example, they spend thousands of hours to create pages and pages with difficult code just to create a forum. You can do the same but with an Internet app in more solid, good looking and quick way.
smartmedia

Return to NeoBookDBPro