Source language: Translate to:

dbpPrintReport

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

dbpPrintReport

Postby cp4w » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:28 am

I need to do some reporting in Neobook however it has to be able to be in save in some sort of a file.

Is there a way of saving(printing) the report to a text file?
cp4w

Postby Gaev » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:17 am

Steven:

Have you considered third party products ... that get installed as "Printer Drivers" for "virtual" print devices ... i.e. not attached to a real printer on your computer ... but when you choose to "Print using this virtual printer" ... the output is saved as a (pdf) file of your choosing.

The advantage of such a solution is that you can rediredt print output from any/all programs on your computer.
Gaev

Postby cp4w » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:13 am

Have you considered third party products ... that get installed as "Printer Drivers" for "virtual" print devices ... i.e. not attached to a real printer on your computer ... but when you choose to "Print using this virtual printer" ... the output is saved as a (pdf) file of your choosing.

How would it work?

Would I bundle it together with my app and have it installed when the app is installed?
cp4w

Postby Gaev » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:05 am

Sorry, I took this ...
I need to do some reporting in Neobook...
... to mean that this was for your personal need ... not something you wanted to offer in your NeoBook Applications distributed to your customers.

Just out of curiosity ... what is the purpose for such a report ? ... i.e. what were you intending to do with a text file ? ... parse it for other processing ? ... would creation of report output in a database be more useful ?
Gaev

Postby smartmedia » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:21 am

Hi...

If export as PDF do for you take a look at here.
http://www.neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16174
smartmedia

Postby cp4w » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks smartmedia, I hear you.

Gaev,

The customer wants certain reporting that the application will capture to be e-mailed to them on a monthly basis.

The recepient of the e-mail will be people in a supervisory capacity and they will be in a different location with access to the actual running app.

It is basically going to report on how the app was being used.
cp4w

Postby Wrangler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Unless I misunderstand, you can do all your report querying and information gathering and send it by email right out of the program. Export what data you want to a comma delimited file, and then use fileread to parse and manipulate the data. This data can then be turned into other formats, or stored in variables displayed in the email body.

It wouldn't be as easy code-wise as generating a report with neodbpro, but that's what we did before dbpro came along. You could also use rtf to display the report, and then attach it to an email.

Or, you can just export the report data to csv, and write a little program that the client installs on their machine that will parse and display it according to how you code it. They could print it out, print to pdf etc.

Or, just send them the csv file and they could view it in Excel, or even with Open Office.

So basically, you query for the data you need, write it to a csv file. Query for other data, append that to the csv and so on. Now all your data is in a file, you can have your way with it, and display it in a number of ways.

I followed Smartmedia's link, but didn't find an answer to your pdf problem, did you?

Later: You could also use html to display the report. html is easy to generate on the fly. Then you could even make it look purty. :?
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby cp4w » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks Wrangler, your ideas are much appreciated.
cp4w

Return to NeoBookDBPro