Source language: Translate to:

Issue With Report Painter

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Issue With Report Painter

Postby cp4w » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:21 am

I am having a problem when using a group footer and defining a function .

If I use a function of count, it works properly. After each group, it gives me the count of the column that I am counting.

The problem is when I use the sum function. The issue is, I get the total for the entire report and report terminates after the first group ends. It does not show me the information for the other groups.
cp4w

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:48 am

Some of the functions only work when used on specific types of partitions, which is covered in the help file.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby cp4w » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:18 pm

I looked at the help file and it does not indicate any difference between count and sum.

They both should function the same way in a group footer partition.
cp4w

Postby Gaev » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Steven:
I looked at the help file and it does not indicate any difference between count and sum.
A correction was made in the latest update to the Help file ... in the section that describes the Formula Tool ... SUM (along with AVG, MIN and MAX) is now shown in Red color ... and below the list it says ...
Note: Functions in red generally will only work when placed onto a Report Summary or Footer type Partition. Placing them elsewhere on a report will yield unpredictable results.

They both should function the same way in a group footer partition.
According to the Help file ...
The Formula Tool is used to add simple mathematical calculations to your reports. The formula can include database fields and NeoBook variables. When using database fields, the results of the calculation may be different depending on where the Formula object is placed on your report. Some types of formulas only make sense when placed on top of certain types of Partitions, while others can be placed anywhere.
... I think Steven is expecting that placing SUM(someTable.someField) in a Group Footer will result in the "SUM of someField values in records within that particular GROUP" being reported ... perhaps the NeoBookDBPro Reporting Facility can only handle simple formulas ... like "SUM of someField values in ALL currently selected records in the database".

There might be a way to realize this in a report ...

a) first create a temporary table of "SUM values by GROUP field"

b) use dbpDefineRelationship to ensure "navigational changes to the master table will automatically display matching records in the detail table"

c) use the Text/Field Tool in the Group Header and/or Group Footer partition to display the "summed field" in the "Detail Table of the Relationship"

... haven't tried this myself but might work.

Otherwise, it might be a very beneficial enhancement in the next upgrade of the Report Designer to support SUMBYGROUP([yourTable.yourField]) in the Group Header and/or Group Footer partitions.
Gaev

Return to NeoBookDBPro