Source language: Translate to:

Using Access Database

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Using Access Database

Postby RandyH » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:46 am

Hi All,
I'm new to Neobook, still using the trial version, and am trying to understand how Access tables are used in NeobookPro. 1. If I set up a database in Access, do I need to use primary keys or do I make the relationships in Neobook? 2. In Access there is a one to many relationship, how is that done in Neobook?
Thanks
RandyH

Re: Using Access Database

Postby phenix37 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:59 am

RandyH wrote:Hi All,
I'm new to Neobook, still using the trial version, and am trying to understand how Access tables are used in NeobookPro. 1. If I set up a database in Access, do I need to use primary keys or do I make the relationships in Neobook? 2. In Access there is a one to many relationship, how is that done in Neobook?
Thanks

RandyH welcome,

Although other on the forum are more pro than me, I'll answer.
In Neobook, to use databases, we need a plugin.
For example NeobookDBPro.
When you create a access database , we must not specify a primary key.
You can define (several) relations between tables.
You can also define an index at any time.
phenix37

Postby Gaev » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:56 pm

RandyH:
1. If I set up a database in Access, do I need to use primary keys or do I make the relationships in Neobook?

2. In Access there is a one to many relationship, how is that done in Neobook?

a) From the Help file for NeoBookDBPro ...
Code: Select all
dbpDefineRelationship

Establish a master-detail relationship between two tables. Once a relationship is defined, navigational changes to the master table will automatically display matching records in the detail table. In order to link two tables, they must share a common field such as a customer name, order number or part number. The contents of the master table's master field will be used to query the linked field in the detail table.

dbpDefineRelationship "database id" "mastertable" "masterfield" "detailtable" "detailfield" "fieldmask"

b) BTW, I believe something got lost in the translation when Geo said in his response ...

When you create a access database , we must not specify a primary key.

... I think he meant to say that ...

When you create a access database , it is not necessary to specify a primary key.
Gaev

Postby Wrangler » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi Jimmy,

No. Access does not need to be installed on the user's computer. Some of the other db formats do, however.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Wrangler » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:55 pm

NeoDBPro is a powerful plugin. Definitely worth having in the toolbox. Access is more of a pain to work with, as opposed to Neodbf, but it has a lot more power, and almost mandatory for large databases.

Neodbf is much easier to use, and works well for databases with up to 50,000 records. But it lacks relationships, reports etc.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby phenix37 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Gaev wrote:... I think he meant to say that ...
When you create a access database , it is not necessary to specify a primary key.

Exactly Gaev.
I translated the message with Goggle.
JimmyC wrote:So my question is how can one design a neobook applicaiton using an access database unless you know exactly what version of Access the end user has and that the end user has Microsoft Access installed?

In the Help File NeobookDBPro
NeoBookDBPro uses ODBC and ADO technology to access a variety of database formats including Microsoft® Access™, MySQL™, SQLite™, Microsoft® SQL Server™, Oracle™, PostgreSQL™, Paradox, dBase and more.. In fact, when properly configured with the appropriate ODBC driver, NeoBookDBPro can be used to access just about any type of database system. Of course, database programming is a not trivial endeavor so don't expect to master it overnight.

The easiest to configure, and the most portable type of database, is Microsoft Access. As described above, most other types of databases require special software and drivers to be installed on your computer. The Microsoft Data Access Drivers (MDAC) required for Microsoft Access databases are included with Windows starting with 98. Therefore publications that deploy Access databases should be viewable on all but the very oldest Windows 95 computers. (Windows 95 users can download MDAC free from Microsoft's web site if needed.)
phenix37

Postby RandyH » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks for the input, I'm impressed how active this forum is!
Randy
RandyH

Return to NeoBookDBPro